• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Isle of Dogs shampoo & Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Erin2854

Hello,
I was excited to try the Isle of Dogs line as I keep hearing such wonderful things about it. But then I was looking at the ingredient list and was SO dissapointed! I saw that the shampoo's contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate and from everything I have read about what to look for in a good dog shampoo (and from various vets) this is always the ingredient they say to avoid. It's said to be drying, irriatating, can cause damange to skin/hair folicle and more. Any opinions on this? I have been using (and loving) Buddy Wash and their conditioner Buddy Rinse by Cloud Star which is 100% natural and smells divine. It's always fun to try something new though, so I was curous about IOD. I listed the ingredents below.

Isle of Dog #10 shampoo
Ingredients
Deionized water, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamide DEA, acrylates copolymer, PEG-3 distearate, oenothera biennis (evening primrose) oil, fragrance. DMDM hydantoin, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, citric acid, sodium chloride.

Buddy Wash by Cloud Star

Ingredients
Coconut shampoo base, aloe vera gel, essence of lavender, essence of mint, chamomile extract, sage extract, nettle extract, rosemary extract, wheat protein extract (natural deodorizing agent), tea tree oil, vitamin E, vitamin C.

Note: I have heard that sulfates can be hidden in some coconut based shampoos but I have contacted Cloud Star about the buddy wash and they have assured me that NO sulfates are put in their formulas.

I'm extremely sensitive to sodium lauryl sulfate, but sodium laureth doesn't bother me. I've heard lots of bad things about the the lauryl, never laureth, maybe the same is true of dogs?

These articles from wikipedia and snopes might be helpful:

Snopes
Wikipedia SLS
Wikipedia SLES

Note that SLS is also used in toothpaste. They probably won't cause undue irritation if used as suggested - but if you want to go with a completely natural product best to avoid SLS/SLES. Of course some individuals are highly sensitive to certain chemicals as well.

There are about 4 brands that don't use sls in toothpaste. About 10 years ago most shampoo brands used sls, then the natural shampoo movement happened, and it's probably in fewer than half of shampoos now. I'm hoping the same will happen with toothpaste.

I am only sensitive to sodium lauryl sulfate, ammonium lauryl/laureth, and sodium laureth don't bother me at all. It's strange to have that degree of specificity.

It's funny that isle of dogs calls out sodium laureth as a bad ingredient, then uses it in their product anyway. I guess they don't think you should buy their product.

Regarding the "scary" article; it mentions SLS can cause liver damage, etc.

Well tea tree oil can cause liver damage (particularly in cats), and it is a perfectly natural product. Used topically in the right amount, it can work wonders. Just don't consume it!

Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's safe or better. I just get a bit irritated with scare tactics. The underlying ideas may be correct, but the information presented is totally misleading.

Back