• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

PSOM Question

... Rod, I am not aware that PSOM is always progressive -- it certainly is not always symptomatic and myringotomy does have risks. I was advised NOT to do it on an otherwise asymptomatic or mildly affected cavalier by two neurologists and several vets that I have spoken to over the years. ...

I missed this post until now. PSOM is progressive in the sense that it does not exist at birth and eventually begins to exist and then becomes observable, at least via MRI or CT scans. But perhaps it is not always rapidly progressive, or once it comes into existence, it does not continue to progress.

It is important information that some neuros do not recommend surgery immediately.

Thank you everyone.

I had an e-mail from my vet last night:

Otitis media is painful - speaking from personal experience - and given the bulging tympanic membranes visible on exam of Tommy's ear canals, it is likely myringotomy has released middle ear pressure allowing him some considerable relief.

Leaves me wondering if more dogs should actually be having the surgery?

Leaves me wondering if more dogs should actually be having the surgery

leaves me wondering how many dogs are in pain and the owners assuming they are not !

Back