Thread: Where to buy Vitamin E for dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to buy Vitamin E for dogs?

I've been reading the benefits of giving your dog a daily dose of vitamin E (about 200 IU for a cavalier) but can't seem to find anywhere to buy it?? I always hear it is not safe to give human vitamins to dogs, but I keep doing a search for "Order vitamin E for dogs" online and nothing comes up! Any ideas? I am also giving my 2 year old cavalier a daily vitamin of 30mg of CQ10. I'm just wanting to start early prevention. Thanks!
    Last edited by Erin2854; 20th February 2011 at 02:17 AM.
    Erin aka Mommy to Polly (Blenheim) 3-30-2009 And Cat children, Salem, Emma & Ellie
    The love of my life
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    Tobey- I miss you terribly my sweet boy. We will be together again

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you're based, but Dorwest Herbs do this

http://www.dorwest.com/Catalogue/Die...erm-Oil-LIQUID

and from my reading online cold pressed vegetable oils such as safflower and wheatgerm are a good source of vitamin E

You may find that it is contained in a multi-vitamin rather than on its own.

Edited to add: I googled "vitamin E for dogs" and came up with some articles about the benefits, and eventually some companies that sell it as part of a multi-vit complex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    I have been giving the girls vit e daily for many
    Years bought two tubs last week from Holland and
    Battery for 18 pounds i think they were 200 mu and
    250 per bottle will check when I get home.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Denes have all the canine vitamins you might need. They used to sell them in most health food shops, but I have always used the ones for humans and none of my dogs have shown any ill effects

Vitamin e, 200 i.u. are on the shelves at Tesco and I think Wilkinson's have them too. Vitamin e is said to be really good in keeping hearts healthy, as is Evening Primrose Oil, but a tinned sardine or two added to the food once or twice a week will do just as well.

I have recently purchased vitamins for both the dogs and myself from ZipVit (just google it). They are packed in plastic zipped bags, hence the name and very competitively priced.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replys! I'm actually located in the US (although I am familiar with the stores and brands you mentioned as I have alot of family in the UK and have visited often!) and I do see various multivitamins that have vitamin E but its always a minimal amount (like 5 or 15 IU). I have found a few sources for human vitamin E 200IU at a few stores near me. Most of them say it's derived from soybean oil. Is this ok? thanks again
    Erin aka Mommy to Polly (Blenheim) 3-30-2009 And Cat children, Salem, Emma & Ellie
    The love of my life

Post Thanks / Like

It's completely untrue that you can't give "human" vitamins/supplements to dogs. Vitamins are vitamins - I've used "human" supplements/vitamins for dogs for 25 years. Human products generally are much less expensive and have much better quality control than canine products.

I use Puritan's Pride (order from their internet site) for supplements/vitamins for all of my dogs and for myself. I spent a good bit of time researching companies in relation to their quality control - published assays of their products - since there is no FDA control of supplements/vitamins. In other words - do the products contain what the labels state that they contain.

I get Co-Q10, 200 IU vitamin E (be sure to use natural and not synthetic vitamin E), omega 3 fish oil capsules and glucosamine/chondroitin products from Puritan's Pride. I don't like "combination" products for the reasons that you stated - most have way too little amount of what you want to give, and they contain other items that you don't want to give. Combination products combine a little bit of everything along with the proverbial "kitchen sink."

Similarly, we use "human" medications for dogs - I purchase almost all prescription medications for the dogs at human pharmacies for the same reasons as above - much cheaper and better quality control.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    It's completely untrue that you can't give "human" vitamins/supplements to dogs. Vitamins are vitamins - I've used "human" supplements/vitamins for dogs for 25 years. Human products generally are much less expensive and have much better quality control than canine products.

I use Puritan's Pride (order from their internet site) for supplements/vitamins for all of my dogs and for myself. I spent a good bit of time researching companies in relation to their quality control - published assays of their products - since there is no FDA control of supplements/vitamins. In other words - do the products contain what the labels state that they contain.

I get Co-Q10, 200 IU vitamin E (be sure to use natural and not synthetic vitamin E), omega 3 fish oil capsules and glucosamine/chondroitin products from Puritan's Pride. I don't like "combination" products for the reasons that you stated - most have way too little amount of what you want to give, and they contain other items that you don't want to give. Combination products combine a little bit of everything along with the proverbial "kitchen sink."

Similarly, we use "human" medications for dogs - I purchase almost all prescription medications for the dogs at human pharmacies for the same reasons as above - much cheaper and better quality control.

Pat

Thank you Pat that is useful to know
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! That is very helpful, thanks so much for that information
    The love of my life

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Pat

Thanks for the advice and link .Any thoughts on Taurine as a supplement .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T