• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Who puts their Cav's into kennels?

murphy's mum

I've just found out my mother-in-law will no longer looks after our two when we go on holiday. Don't ask why as I don't know myself. So I'm wondering who on the board uses boarding kennels when they go away.

I guess I'm just worried. Murphy is five on the 28th and has never been in kennels. Misty is a rescue, who came from a bad breeding situation, and acted as if she hadn't seen a house when she was first picked up. I worry that she'll thinks she been abandoned :(

Am I nuts for worrying about them? :confused: I have visions of Misty howling the week away, and Murphy refusing to eat. Our cats have always gone into boarding while we are away. We will probably use the same place as the cats went last year, as we were very impressed with the place. We never saw the kennel facilities, but I would check them out before booking them in.

Also they have never had a kennel cough vaccination. Will they just need one injection, or will ti be one and a booster? I'm in at the vets on the 28th for the Willow, our kittens spay, so I'll ask then, but am just curious.

Hi

Poppy our first came to us in Sept 2006 followed at regular intervals by the other three and since then we still have two weeks away every summer in different places and they have always been with us .We found a cottage just outside Keswick in the North Lakes we went there last year ,year before and the two before that and are going this July and again in Sept and have booked next year .Originally they said two dogs only but my sales pitch was four Cavaliers equals in size and weight one Labrador and they agreed but still charged extra for four dogs irrespective of size so we had a happy agreement they allow four and I pay extra for four ,and the good part we all have separate rooms but the girls sleep with me.They have the bed and I have the floor.:)

4968993506_cc46dce9fe.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

PS No more hols abroad and The Lakes is a nice easy two hour drive away.

It sounds as though you have a couple of issues. Would it be better to find someone to move in while you are away. The dogs won't be so disrupted and you will probably be able to relax knowing they are in the comfort of their own home.

Thanks Brian, we don't go abroad anyways, but the problem is our holiday for this year is already booked. Taking them with us will be our first option in future I think, although Misty is a nightmare in the car. She whimpers, very loudly in the car whenever we go for walks:rolleyes:

Tania I did consider getting someone in but god knows who. My mother would gladly move in for a week of peace ;), but she has arthritis, so that's a no, no. I need to look around for a pet sitter perhaps:confused:

A good place to start is the local vet. Sometimes the nurses will house and dog sit for some extra pin money, if not they probably will know someone. If you go the official route, I know there are agencies who will recommend someone, they have all of the insurance etc., probably quite expensive. If it was me, I would prefer to use someone recommended locally, this is what we would do, because two of our dogs are sick, we can't leave them with anyone.

I bet once you start looking you will find someone. Let us know how you get on.

since we got ruby , although lots of family members have offered to have her if we go away , i cant for the life of me imagine i would enjoy a holiday without her ,so i dont think i could put her in kennels. i will be doing as brian does and looking for somwhere in the lakes( would love some recommendations brian) . maybe i will look into pet passports but im scared something would go wrong and she end up in quarantine :shock::shock::shock:

Hello Tania

As I have aged I have mellowed I am not a football hooligan anymore I don't now do fisticuffs or nightcubs ,I don't smoke or drink and I don't chase the ladies .I am a reformed person and a good boy:eek: thats why I let you get off with your comments ,actually when I post I wonder how long it will be before our T replies ,your a smasher and a star.:)

Your Mate Bri:)

I have never put my dogs in kennels. I don't think they would survive! We went without a holiday for about 8 years because I wouldn't put our last dog in kennels. We have a caravan and found a great place down the coast where we can take the dogs. We have been going there ever since. It's awesome and they love the beach.

When I just had Chelsea she had gone to 3 different places, no problem with any of them. Since I have the two, my parents have come here and taken them to there house or they have gone to Vivian's breeder for home boarding. I have taken Chelsea with me and have looked into other places using pet friendly travel sites.

Hope you find something that works for you.

You've had some useful suggestions. I can't answer as to whether your two would be ok in kennels, I have never put my two in because Maddie wouldn't eat and Pippin would stress at the noise of the other dogs.

If kennels is the only option to you, why don't you find one that you like the look of and see if they will let you acclimatise the dogs to going there? First book them in for an afternoon, then an overnight stay, then a weekend. Then hopefully by the time your holiday comes round they are used to going there, they know the people and also will know that you come back for them.

Good luck whatever you decide,

I've found a couple of local petsitters, after looking on-line. I'm going to check them out, as I hate the idea of kennels.

I am sure they will be fine in kennels. Just ask to see the set up and ask what a typical day is like. I'd look for an indoor heated area and an outdoor run with daily exercise periods outside the run as well.

I know people who run kennels, have put all mine in kennels at various times (as well as home boarding) and they all have a great time. How do I know? Because a trainer friend has sometimes been on duty for the day and confirms that like most dogs, they will sleep much of the day anyway and then get a couple of good runs around the grassy exercise area. When I take them to kennels they are all thrilled to see the people there. They get walks daily etc and are always in great form when I collect them.

Very few dogs will feel abandoned -- if anything a former puppy farm dog is probably quite comfortable in a kennel situation so I wouldn't worry about that. If there are two together they will almost certainly be perfectly content. They will be thrilled to see you when you return to collect them but they simply live for each day.

All my friends who run boarding/kennels say the even the dogs who howl when the owner leaves (eg my Jaspar :rolleyes:) are off playing and enjoying themselves 5 minutes later. Really: if owners realised how quickly the dogs settle they'd be surprised and perhaps a bit miffed! The same happens when I collect rescue dogs -- really, they don't pine away for their former owners. They will always love their owners but dogs and I think cavaliers in particular are happy to live in the moment and enjoy meeting new people and dogs.

A kennel is a much better choice IMHO than leaving a dog with most friends or relatives; who may leave a door open, or have the dogs in a strange location where they'd far more easily be lost.

I think minding others' dogs, even if you like the dogs, can be a burden -- we tend to not think of it that way because we love our dogs but not everyone feels that way or wants the day to day chore or to feel tied down. Unless someone is extremely enthusiastic about minding a dog I think relationships are best preserved by putting dogs/cats into kennels or insured/bonded home boarding (beware with home boarding -- it's done by a lot of indifferent amateurs with no mind for safety).

A responsible housesitter can be another option but more tricky to find.I would not use petsitters that do not live in (eg the ones who just come by the house -- not adequate or safe IMHO). I use home boarding most of the time but kennels as well. I am off later today to collect mine from home boarding. :D

Kennel cough is given annually or bi-annually -- requirements differ. It is generally given in the nose (inhaled). It should be done about a week or two before boarding.

We may like to think that our dogs are going to pine for us in kennels, but if you do your homework and find a good kennel, with comfortable sleeping quarters with a good sized run attached, regular visits by staff (perhaps the most important thing with people-loving Cavaliers), regular exercise (preferably with other dogs), there's really no reason why they shouldn't enjoy their holiday as much as you enjoy yours - unless of course they already suffer from separation anxiety or have other issues (like illness in which case a kennel probably wouldn't take them anyway). Quarantine kennels are usually a high standard (your dog doesn't go in the quarantine bit, of course!). I have a friend whose family run a big quarantine/boarding kennel near Liverpool and I am always impressed by the way she talks about their boarders and the trouble she takes to keep them happy.

A Cavalier with good temperament will have everyone at the kennels twisted round their little paws in 24 hours flat - that's my experience with Oliver, anyway, who has been in kennels a couple of times when I had to go to a conference, though usually we all go on holiday together (I think he first went to kennels when he was 3). I would hesitate about putting Aled in kennels on his own, because he is still very dependent on Oliver, but I think even he would be OK if they were kennelled together.

Take your dog along with you when you visit kennels, and when you find a good one, book them in at least overnight for a trial run. It's always a good idea to get dogs used to kennels, especially if like me you live alone and have no family nearby - you never know when there will be an emergency and you can't find a dog-sitter at short notice, or family are away. The emergency may be you having an accident and ending up in hospital, or having to go away at very short notice (for a family crisis, for example). If they are already used to kennels and know the staff, it's so much easier for them (and kennels are more likely to find space for them if they are already 'clients').

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Take your dog along with you when you visit kennels, and when you find a good one, book them in at least overnight for a trial run. It's always a good idea to get dogs used to kennels, especially if like me you live alone and have no family nearby - you never know when there will be an emergency and you can't find a dog-sitter at short notice, or family are away. The emergency may be you having an accident and ending up in hospital, or having to go away at very short notice (for a family crisis, for example). If they are already used to kennels and know the staff, it's so much easier for them (and kennels are more likely to find space for them if they are already 'clients').

I agree with Karlin and Kate. Here in the States there are lots of very good boarding kennels, you just need to do your homework, visit the facility, ask lots of questions, get references and ask at your Vets, training classes, the dog park, etc. I sometimes use a house/dog sitter but I think it is important for my dogs to be comfortable being boarded if an emergency should arise and that would be my only option. Mine all wag their tails and greet the kennel staff as long lost friends -- and are still happy to see me when I come to get them. Usually the staff wants to keep Buddy, who I am sure gets extra attention by playing up that Cavalier sweetness!

I also continue to crate my dogs a couple times a week for four or five hours even though they can now all be trusted in the house (as long as the bathroom doors are closed to prevent battles with the toilet paper :)). I want them to continue to feel comfortable being crated so that they do not have anxiety when it may be necessary to confine them. When I say "crate up" they are off to their crates, get their little treat and happily settle down.

Our dogs, even our Cavaliers who can seem so vulnerable with those big, liquid eyes, are much more resilent than we give them credit for.

I posted about this only last week as I think we're going to have to put Leo in kennels in the summer due to a family wedding.

Like you Im worried and the seperation anxiety will be awful....mine of course not Leo's:roll:

Ive researched kennels in the area and asked friends and work collegues for recommendations. I asked at the vet but they told me they're not alowed to recommend a specific kennel.

It's a dilema

:updte:
First of all, thanks everyone for their replies :D

But problem solved. After a few phone calls and an extra £50, we are now taking them with us:jmp:

Murphy's been on holiday before, but it will be Misty's first holiday. I feel so much better, and I'm sure we'll have a great time, we're going to a forest park so there will be plenty of walkies. I just need to remember to pack the doggy shampoo!

Wow that's great, I've been racking my brains to see if I could rustle up a foster home for you!

Have a great time with the cavs! cl*p

Back