• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question to the experts about PSOM/ Tubes

Blondiemonster

Hello. This is probably more a question for the experts on this forum (Rod, karlin etc... )
Does anybody have the study on PSOM that was done on cavaliers in which "tubes" where inserted? I know Ohio State does the procedure, but I heard of a Swedish Study as well.
I am trying to find as much information as possible, but it's such a rare thing that very little seems available. The vet at LIVS I went to for or follow up visit hasn't even heard of it. My question to them was if Dr. Marino would be able to do that surgery as well, otherwise we have to drive to Ohio State, where according to Dr. West, they have succesfully put tubes in the eardrum (pretty much like with kids) and had good results.

Hi Blondiemonster,

I have been in correspondence with Lynette Cole from Ohio University who is doing a lot of research into PSOM's. I asked her about the 'tubes' (grommets) and this was her reply to me:

"The use of tympanostomy (grommets) has not been done by veterinarians, although 2 published reports describe this, they were inserted by human otolarnygologists. And yes, the mucus may recur and require multiple flushes."

I think a few of these proceedures were done in Australia. Please keep us informed if you find out anything further.

Regards]

... Does anybody have the study on PSOM that was done on cavaliers in which "tubes" where inserted? I know Ohio State does the procedure, but I heard of a Swedish Study as well.

I am trying to find as much information as possible, but it's such a rare thing that very little seems available. The vet at LIVS I went to for or follow up visit hasn't even heard of it. My question to them was if Dr. Marino would be able to do that surgery as well, otherwise we have to drive to Ohio State, where according to Dr. West, they have succesfully put tubes in the eardrum (pretty much like with kids) and had good results.

Here is a cut-&-paste from http://www.cavalierhealth.org/psom.htm about an Australian study in 2008:

The method of application and short term results of tympanostomy tubes for the treatment of primary secretory otitis media in three Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dogs. Corfield GS, Burrows AK, Imani P, Bryden SL. Aust Vet J. 2008 Mar;86(3):88-94. Quote: "Primary secretory otitis media is an uncommon disease affecting predominantly Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dogs. Current treatment recommendations include repeated manual removal of the mucoid effusion from the tympanic cavity through a myringotomy incision and topical or systemic corticosteroids. The aim of this study was to assess the efficacy of tympanostomy tubes to provide continual tympanic cavity ventilation and drainage for the treatment of primary secretory otitis media in three dogs. Tympanostomy tubes were placed within a myringotomy incision in the pars tensa with the aid of an operating microscope. Clinical signs resolved rapidly in all cases following the procedure and all cases were asymptomatic at the time of follow-up, 8, 6 and 4 months later. Results of this study indicate that tympanostomy tubes provide continual tympanic cavity ventilation and drainage and may be an acceptable alternative to repeated myringotomy for the treatment of primary secretory otitis media."

Thank you. My question is; how difficult can it be to insert such little tubes? They do it in kids all the time.. It's not really a risky thing, at least in humans. Dr. West was under the impression Ohio State did do the tubes, so Lynette Cole's answers surprises me... At LIVS they never heard of the tube thing, however i didnt talk to marino, I bet he knows...
I was really hoping to get the tubes done. :(The PSOM is driving my Blondie crazy.
But Autralia is a bit far. But hey, maybe if I fight for it hard enough, I can be the first US case!! :)

Rod,

I don't know much on PSOM but I feel for lynn. Having several treatments for blondie and frustration but no answers. By reading the information, why not further research? I know you are the messanger but if you can't find anything then its even more strange.

If there is something helpful even if to find out it was short term and reason no further information but strange no one has asked? i

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

... I don't know much on PSOM but I feel for lynn. Having several treatments for blondie and frustration but no answers. By reading the information, why not further research? ...

Good question. Maybe some research is going on now. Usually, until the reports have been reviewed by the journal editors and peers, the lid is on.

One thing that surprises me is this quote from Dr. Cole, quoted above:

"The use of tympanostomy (grommets) has not been done by veterinarians, although 2 published reports describe this, they were inserted by human otolarnygologists."

It is flat wrong about not having been done by veterinarians. The first reported study by veterinarian researchers was in 1989!!! The second was in 2008.

She has some 'splainin' to do.

Gy
Good question. Maybe some research is going on now. Usually, until the reports have been reviewed by the journal editors and peers, the lid is on.

One thing that surprises me is this quote from Dr. Cole, quoted above:

It is flat wrong about not having been done by veterinarians. The first reported study by veterinarian researchers was in 1989!!! The second was in 2008.

She has some 'splainin' to do.

I find it strange that even the experts doing research know nothing or say nothing about this study, lid on or not it is a published report or is it :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I find it very weird too. The use of tympanostomy tubes is very effective in children and a routine procedure in children with glue ear. The fact that nobody has seriously considered using those instead of flushing the ear every 6 months under GA is a bit alarming to me.. Also that there is no follow up research on the 2008 study like everyone is trying to keep something quiet. The fact that the maine authority on PSOm (Cole) makes such a wrong statement is even scarier.

Also, I emailed LIVS to let them know a forum member told me Lynette COle's answer. Now I will look like a fool, or Lynette will. :)

It would be such good news if tubes were available and were proven to be successful !!!! I can't believe there isn't any updated information out there...

Back