• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grooming - need a good brush

BrooklynMom

Hi all...I need advice on a good brush for reducing shedding in Cav's. Obviously they shed a lot, but every "brush" I use seems to take out no hair (though my pants take out a lot! :rotfl:).

So far I have tried a soft puppy size slick brush, a comb, a lice comb (that sounds weird, it was a suggestion from someone, it actually does remove a good amount of hair...but it takes so long because the teeth are so close, and the pup gets over it). I have also tried a rubber looking mit thing that worked the first few times, and now doesnt.

Brooklyn's hair is SO fine that I feel like nothing is picking it up...any advice? What works great for you?
I keep combing and brushing everyday anyway to help her get used to it, but it would be great if there was actually some benefit out of it in hair removal terms!

Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated!

I use what I think is called a Mars King Comb. It looks like a furinater but it is much better. That takes out all the dead hair. I had mine for 3 years now and it's still great but I think I am going to invest in a new one when I go to Crufts in March.

PS. How old is you dog? I woudn't use it on a puppy.

I don't think you need to spend a lot of money to buy a reasonable brush(although you can if you want).Just buy a bottle of grooming spray and a pure boar bristle brush and spend 10 mins a day brushing him and making sure to remove any tangles behind the ears.
You won't remove everything that sheds and your clothes will bear testament to that.
Unfortunately there will be some shedding which is par for the course with cavaliers.
Sins

Thanks everyone!
Yes I know...shedding will happen :d*g: but it would be good to at least get a little in a brush, ha.
I think the boar head brush is a good idea. What kind of Mason Pearson brush do you use? They have so many different kinds and bristles! My girl is a puppy now, 19 weeks, do the furminator type thing might be a while out while she is still little. But good to know for when she gets older.

Folks here helped me a great deal with this issue

I have a 9-month-old and use both the Mars Coat King and the Furminator. I agree the Coat King does the best job of removing loose fur. I think the 10 or 12 blade is recommended for Cavs. However, I use the Furminator gently in the area behind her ears where she tends to develop mats and it is great at preventing bad mats from forming. The area behind/under her ears is what I have to watch the most. They can get NASTY mats that you end up having to cut out.

You can use the Furminator gently on the ears too but I just use a pin brush there regularly.

I use a regular "slicker" type brush on Sophie. I have found the nylon bristle types to be awful, mainly because the tips are blunt. This is how they are heat set/trimmed to evenness, but it doesn't seem effective to me on the fine Cavi hair. Slicker is best on our dog. I also discovered that brushing her hair "against the grain" removes even more hair. She's shedding in the middle of winter, because she lives in a heated home.

Mason Pearson brushes are very expensive,especially in USA.
Have a look at Chris Christensen website and you'll find something very much cheaper for maybe $25.It's enough to pay for a boar bristle brush for basic grooming.Other brands like Denman are perfectly fine...
Just shop around and find the best value.
Sins

Though I don't have a good recommendation, I wanted to add a side note.

I found that Claire was a TERRIBLE shedder when she was a young pup, and my clothes were entirely covered with pretty red hair (puppy fluffy hair too). As she got closer to one year old, I noticed her shedding has decreased, especially once her coat changed to the more slick shiny fur that is typical in Cav's (though there are variations of this).

I use a flea comb on Claire, as it seems to get the most 'dead' hair out.

Back