• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lump worry

meljoy

It may be nothing but I noticed a large lump in between Leo's shoulder blades tonight.
He had all his jabs last week so could it be that?
It moves a little, feels soft and it doesnt bother him at all.

Any ideas anyone?

Ive got to take him back to the vet next week for a check on his anal glands so will get the vet to look at him.
Do you think Im worrying over nothing?

I had this with Molly (sm) after her vaccinations and booster a few years back. I believed this was a bad reaction even though the vet was a bit vague and did not confirm this. I have decided against boosters every year and only give her the leptospira vaccination every year and this is injected into the thigh.

I don't think you are worrying over nothing as lumps shouldn't happen! I would definately double check with the vet to be sure but if he had his booster last week, it
sounds as though it could be connected.

Mel, the same thing happened to Minnie when she had her vaccination a couple of years ago. About a week after a soft lump came up between her shoulder blades, took her back to vet and it was a cyst caused by the injection. He lanced it and gave her a course of antibiotics and it cleared up very quickly.

So certainly do not think you are worrying over nothing.

Since that incident she only ever has injections into her thigh.

I'd guess it's probably just a reaction to the injection–sometimes that happens (in people too–they generally just disappear by themselves before long. It's generally just a sign of minor irritation). Another possibility is that it's his microchip, assuming he has one. That's about where it would be located. Little fatty benign lumps are also really common in this breed. Most of the time a lump won't be any worry at all but it is always important to have it checked out at some point by a vet. Sometimes they will aspirate a little fluid out of it as that can help them to tell whether there's any concern. But generally they can tell just by the feel and if it doesn't change in size it's probably just a little fatty cyst.

Thank you for your replies. I will definately get it checked on Monday when Leo's at the vet anyway.

He is microchipped by the way, I never thought of that. The lump does feel 'fatty'.

At least it doesnt bother him.
Thanks again.

Mel

Back