• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet plan was established by cavalier owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniemac

I need to find the article link but I read that pet plan co owners started pet plan because they have owned cavaliers whole life and seeing how MVD affects the breed

I confirmed they have 7 year old named Wellington. Go pet plan and please can You help with health research and testing for our beloved breed?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The founders of the U.S. PetPlan franchise are Natasha and Chris Ashton, and they indeed have a Cavalier named Wellington. I have my just-received issue of Fetch open on my desk, and there is a letter from them saying that "ten years ago a $5,000 visit to the vet saved our cat Bodey's life, and changed ours, by inspiring us to launch PetPlan in the United States."

As a business, I think it's unlikely that PetPlan would get involved in breed-specific health initiatives. And unfortunately, PetPlan has aligned itself with HSUS, which is a turn-off for anyone who is educated about the HSUS agenda. HSUS is an animal rights group that does almost nothing to directly help companion animals in need, and indeed has an agenda that is not so hidden to eliminate the ownership of companion animals.

Pat

Wow.... why would one eliminate pets as companion animals??

Pat... what is the issue that HSUS would want to do this? I am really stunned....

Debra - Be stunned......be very stunned (sorry, couldn't resist).

Some years back, one of my Cavalier forums (CavConn) had a pretty strident group of breeder rights folks in it, and they kept posting links to breeder rights forums condemning HSUS as being nothing more than PETA-light and having an agenda to eliminate farm animals as food, eliminate companion animals, etc. HSUS "hides" under the guise of shutting down puppy mills, helping abused dogs and cats, etc., but they have a very PETA-like agenda. They just don't throw paint on fur coats and run around naked because you can raise more donations by being more subtle.

I got sick of listening to these breeder rights folks, so I undertook some personal research to get to the truth of the matter. Surprised the heck out of me to discover that they were correct - HSUS has a not so hidden agenda to eliminate companion animals and the steak on my table, and they generate tons of donations with their heavy advertising of helping poor abused mill dogs, etc. My research sources were HSUS documents and it wasn't very hard to find the truth.

I'm not going to take the time to re-create my research so you'll have to do that yourself if you are interested. But my eyes were definitely opened and I will never again be fooled by HSUS. Unfortunately, the Ashtons have been fooled. Just dig very deep into the HSUS website, and you shall learn the truth. (I agree with Dave about not wanting to spoon feed nor be spoon fed!!)

If you are going to support rescue, it's good to support local rescue groups or breed specific rescue groups so you can have a closer eye on what they do with your money.

Anne - you have misunderstood me - I was not referring to HSUS helping shelter dogs rather than purebred dogs. HSUS actually helps no dogs at all unless they are putting on a show to get donations from pet-lovers.

Pat

Rod can give you an earful about it - but he was one that used breeder rights sources as his evidence. I learned to keep an open mind and do my own darn research!

I disagree at least in part on this view of the HSUS (an organisation about which I have no opinion) and find the source of the claims about them on the animal rights front far more invidious than breeders and breeder lobby groups. I too actually put my journalist hat on and did a lot of research on the claims by breeders and breeder lobby groups (which also routinely defend breeders who keep dozens to hundreds of dogs kennelled outside... how is this different from a puppy mill? Just because they show some of those dogs?) -- about the HSUS and found much the opposite and also will note that perhaps there is a major gap in what some describe as animal rights as opposed to animal welfare.

Much of what the Humane Society is arguing for on the farm animal front is in many places outside the US viewed as basic welfare issues, and many elements are actually already law in much of the EU (for welfare reasons) and is rightly considered compassionate farming. As for running shelters, the Humane Society itself notes in its description of its own remit that it runs a small number of shelters and wildlife centers and focuses more on education, issues, health, legislation etc.

Almost every single "serious" claim I could find against the Humane Society originates with a multimillionaire lobbyist who is heavily financed by–you guessed it–the farming industry, the processed foods industry, and the tobacco and liquor industries. He has set up a wide range of websites and groups that make all sorts of not quite specific claims against the Humane Society. None of this is substantiated with anything remotely solid -- I did pretty exhaustive research on this -- and it is classic FUD–spreading fear uncertainty and doubt. Because I participate on so many different discussion list I have seen the dog “industry” columnists using these “facts” and the ridiculous press releases that are put out by this lobby.

If people wonder why this crowd consistently targets pet owners and tries to discredit the Humane Society, it has nothing at all to do with any stance they might take on pets, but instead is a way to discredit them enough that it might–they hope–damage their influence in changing what are quite frankly appalling farming methods in the US and internationally. And I say this as someone who grew up in a rural area of California and saw the conditions in which the animals are kept before it ends up as the steak on your table.

People are more than welcome to go investigate what they wish to think themselves, but for a long time I have deleted discussion of this organization because there is just clearly so much that is absolutely false spread by this lobby group. The lobbyist was interviewed by I believe Katie Couric on one of the morning news shows in the US and he is a pretty odious creature. You can find the interview on YouTube.

Anne, I have asked you in the past not to bring up this issue and I am really sorry to see that you have dived in on this conversation several times–I guess you forgot the exchange we have already had on this issue. I will put you on moderation and consider removing you from the board permanently if you feel you need to keep making posts about subjects which I then need to remove. I am sorry to state this but I simply do not have the time to read every post you make .

Along that line, while it is fine to note the connection to pet plan, I do not think anyone should be pushing any insurer on such a thin basis. It is far more important that people **check what the terms are of the individual insurance policy**.

And with that I am going to close this thread because I do not want any further conversation here on the Humane Society. I stress that this is not because I either support or do not support this organization, but that it is so clear to me that a good portion of what is said is nonsense and is heavily funded by an extremely well-paid, obnoxious right-wing lobby group run by a single individual, a group totally disinterested in the issues but paid well to say what they say. IMHO this lobby has a more damaging and appalling agenda for animals and humans than anything the HSUS might be doing that annoys some people. If people want to discuss this issue there are endless discussions on other boards and lists where this topic comes up but it is unapologetically banned here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back