• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Random Barking/Growling

Zumie05

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I searched through the forum and didn't exactly get all my questions answered.

Coco is generally a pretty quiet girl. We got very excited a while back when she finally began to growl or bark when needing to go outside. Since then, it has been increasing. She still does not constantly bark at every little thing and it is not annoying, but when she barks now I am growing concerned based off the way she reacts. I can definitely tell when she does a potty type of bark or growl, or if it was from something else.

At first when the barking increased and I realized she did not have to potty every time, I assumed she was testing to see if this behavior got her extra attention. So I ignored her. Sometimes we would have an explanation to her behavior, like there was a scary looking creature on TV, or funny music was playing, etc. Sometimes there is no explanation and we have no idea what she is making noise about. No strange noises, no movement, tv off, nothing out the window..

The strange part that concerns me is that there will be times she is resting (not asleep), eyes open, head down between her paws, and she just growls...and growls. Not ferociously, but just kind of mumbling. Occasionally she then gets up, tail tucked, head lowered, walks away while still growling, and then hides under my legs or under a chair. Is she scared of something? Maybe she is sleeping with her eyes open and had a bad dream?

I have had times I wanted to scold her for the unnecessary barking or growling, but I have refrained from doing so based off how she acts. I don't want to scold her for being afraid of something, nor do I want to give her attention from scolding if that is indeed what she is seeking. Any ideas or suggestions to explain her behavior!?!?

Some dogs are extremely sensitive to natural sounds/earth movements.

So not having any knowledge of Seattle at all, I typed in "Seattle+Fault" in google and wasn't terribly surprised when it came up! In absence of any ailment or outside noises, methinks you may have a good predictor there!

ETA If you suspect this could be true try noting the next few times it happens and check with your local Earthquake monitoring station or these people http://www.seismosoc.org/ to see if there's any 'activity' on the fault.

Last edited:
Could be hearing sounds outside of your hearing range? Fifer could be right. Animals are very perceptive to things in our environment that we would never notice.

Does she seem in pain or does she perk up when you call her?
" Occasionally she then gets up, tail tucked, head lowered, walks away while still growling, and then hides under my legs or under a chair." That almost sounds like it could be pain especially if nothing else is going on. Does she stay hidden under the chair for a while or is just a brief moment like she is unsure of something around her?

Is she possibly "guarding" a toy or treat? Flash is BAD about that! If a cat or dog so much as moves a muscle anywhere in the same room as him and his chewy or toy he growls and takes it somewhere else.

Hm she may be hearing things we don't hear. It is just strange because she does it when she is laying down mostly. Last night she was eating dinner, growled and then left her bowl and went under the computer desk. That doesn't seem like guarding to me. She has never been too fond of eating, and happily shares her toys with anyone or anything. But if I call her after she growls and then hides, she happily runs out and will play and forget about everything.

If it were pain, she wouldn't want to run up and play with me, or would she still if she was just a trooper?

It could still be pain related, Zumie.I'm thinking some sort of discomfort type of pain other than a constant pain.The fact that Coco comes back after the episode is because the moment has passed and her attention has been diverted with play,so it may be short term pain related.It could be anything from a sore muscle to anal gland trouble.Dogs will hide themselves away when in pain, in order to try and hide themselves from it, in order for it to stop.Also dogs have a different pain threshold and there's a lot to be said of how dogs refrain from displaying pain in front of their owners.Maybe in the mean time, maybe make a journal to help determine the cause,this can always be a help if it extends to a vet visit.A check at the vet might be a good idea? I'm not implying you've left Coco to suffer, of course but it may help in determining the cause.In my experience, sometimes barkiing/grumbling/growling has been a sign of some sort of discomfort.The vocalisation can a way of trying to "see the pain off" if you like.Similar to how we curse when we stub our toe :swear:

Keep us posted

R
x

If the growling happens when she is lying down, I would second Fifer's suggestion that it may be connected to earth tremors. Dogs have very acute hearing and could well pick up a faint rumble that we wouldn't hear, even a slight tremor. And growling would be a normal reaction to something Coco didn't understand but which seemed threatening, and then taking refuge in ewhat seems a safer place. I lived in Johannesburg for several years and because the city is built over deep gold mines, we regularly had earth tremors and the noise of earth shifting way below us. I didn't have a dog at that time, but I could imagine a dog getting upset by it (and it is known that dogs can get agitated long before earthquakes happen on the surface). Worth investigating as Fifer suggests, anyway? And perhaps speak cheerfully and reassuringly when it happens (NOT soothingly!)?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

She probably thinks that cat of yours is going to get her, after watching your video where you are telling the cat to get her! We have two cats and Holly often growls at one of them. Both cats are old and aren't really bothered about them but with Jasper and Holly only being young and sometimes want to play. I would make sure your cats claws are clipped just in case what might start out as a bit of fun changes into some drama. You never know with cats.

She probably thinks that cat of yours is going to get her, after watching your video where you are telling the cat to get her! We have two cats and Holly often growls at one of them. Both cats are old and aren't really bothered about them but with Jasper and Holly only being young and sometimes want to play. I would make sure your cats claws are clipped just in case what might start out as a bit of fun changes into some drama. You never know with cats.

Oh don't worry, I keep his claws trimmed very short. He is very gentle with his claws and doesnt actually try to ever scratch her, he just bites when they play.

Usually it is Coco that torments my cat, haha. She always wants to play and he just tolerates it, and then gives in and plays. When he is done he will jump up on the bed or in his cat tree to get away. He is a super good boy...luckily no major drama so far. I do keep them separated when I am gone just in case, and always supervise their play :)

They have been buds since day 1

kisses-1.jpg

sologroomcoco.jpg

cocosolosleep.jpg

I'd start a little journal every time she does it and note the time of day and any recent actives she may have done (play, eat, walk etc) She if you can find similarities.

Whenever Flash is in pain and he sulks off to hide somewhere if I call him he will usually come out but he is not his usual "bouncy" "playful" self. He just wants to lay down for a bit. Still wags his tail a little but slower then usual.

BTW I don't want to change subjects but I love your Ragdoll! SO pretty! Reminds me a little of my boy... How do you get the blue eyes to show up in photos? My boys always have glowing red eyes! I would love a photo to show how blue their eyes are!
DodgerBoo.jpg

Hmm the pp could be on to something with the anal glands. Piper was doing that a lot a few weeks back before i got his anal glands empty and come to think about it he hasn't done it since then.

I am having the same problem with my little Brooklyn, but more with inanimate objects :confused:

But I really just posted because I have to say I laughed out loud and smiled with delight when I saw your pics of Coco and the cat! Too adorable!!! Makes me want to get Brooklyn a playmate.

I am having the same problem with my little Brooklyn, but more with inanimate objects :confused:

But I really just posted because I have to say I laughed out loud and smiled with delight when I saw your pics of Coco and the cat! Too adorable!!! Makes me want to get Brooklyn a playmate!!

I am going to start keeping a journal, thanks Reptigirl that is a good idea. Sometimes we think we know why she barked, and sometimes we really have no idea. A journal will help us keep track.

She does sometimes bark at inanimate objects as well! I will grab a treat and put it closer to the object and touch the object and call her a silly girl, and she gets over it pretty quick.

Its the random barking at nothing that worries me!!

The pain-like behavior could be teething related, especially if eating/chewing seem to trigger it. Coco is about that stage now, I believe.

Back