Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just diagnosed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just diagnosed

My 3yr. old Cavalier, Maggie was just diagnosed with SM. Needless to say, we are devastated. Luckily she is not showing signs of pain, but only scratching. She begins medication today and we hope to avoid surgery if possible. This forum has alot of information and it has helped reading the experiences of others going through the same thing. I just want to enjoy every minute with her and do everything I can to give her the best quality of life possible, a feeling that I know is shared with so many of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear this, but it's good that your boy is only scratching, without any of the other horrible symptoms which can go with SM. I assume he has had a MRI scan?

My boy Rebel was asymptomatic until a few weeks ago, when he had problems walking, an aversion to light in one eye, then started howling with pain. The vet prescribed Frusemide as a starter medication, which has worked so well that he is free of al the symptoms and looks much better too.

I really hope that your boy's scratching stops now that he has the medication and that he will thrive from now on
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you and I hope your baby continues to do well also.

Post Thanks / Like

A heart breaking diagnosis! Sorry for what you and your Maggie are going through. I sincerely hope the medication helps and that she will live a long and painfree life!
    Darlene
    -----------------------
    Tyla Pippin Megan ..... my little 's

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Darlene.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am a new member and just recently heard about SM.

I am a new member and just recently heard about SM. I have a 2 1/2 yrs old male Blenheim called Bee. He has some of the symtoms i.e scratching, face rubbing but I don't think he is in pain. Vet told me it is allergy (scratching) but I just have the uneasy feeling and want to get the best for him. I know it is so devastated to hear the bad news about Maggie but if you can help me since you just went through it. What should I do as the next step? How did you find out? Do you know any experienced vets with Cavalier or SM in Souther nCalifornia?
    Thanks so much
    Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by 3cavies View Post
    My 3yr. old Cavalier, Maggie was just diagnosed with SM. Needless to say, we are devastated. Luckily she is not showing signs of pain, but only scratching. She begins medication today and we hope to avoid surgery if possible. This forum has alot of information and it has helped reading the experiences of others going through the same thing. I just want to enjoy every minute with her and do everything I can to give her the best quality of life possible, a feeling that I know is shared with so many of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kitty,
    I sent you a message
    Stacy
    Stacy

Maggie, Roxie, and Jackson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pkt89 View Post
    I am a new member and just recently heard about SM. I have a 2 1/2 yrs old male Blenheim called Bee. He has some of the symtoms i.e scratching, face rubbing but I don't think he is in pain. Vet told me it is allergy (scratching) but I just have the uneasy feeling and want to get the best for him. I know it is so devastated to hear the bad news about Maggie but if you can help me since you just went through it. What should I do as the next step? How did you find out? Do you know any experienced vets with Cavalier or SM in Souther nCalifornia?
    Thanks so much
    Kitty
    I went to 5 different vets before we got a SM diagnosis, all of whom said it was allergies. I don't want to terrify you, but if your intuition is telling you something better be safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3cavies View Post
    I am so sorry for you. We just got diagnosed Luka is 2.5 yrs. The medication does help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pkt89 View Post
    Thanks so much
    Kitty

I hate to say this but scratching and face rubbing that are SM related ARE symptoms of pain. Many people with SM dogs dont realize this. neuropathic pain is very strange and it is not at all obvious to see it in our dogs.
    Please go see a neurologist asap, because if he does have SM, you'd want to put him on medication asap.
    Lynn and Blondie
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!