• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just diagnosed

3cavies

:( My 3yr. old Cavalier, Maggie was just diagnosed with SM. Needless to say, we are devastated. Luckily she is not showing signs of pain, but only scratching. She begins medication today and we hope to avoid surgery if possible. This forum has alot of information and it has helped reading the experiences of others going through the same thing. I just want to enjoy every minute with her and do everything I can to give her the best quality of life possible, a feeling that I know is shared with so many of you.

Sorry to hear this, but it's good that your boy is only scratching, without any of the other horrible symptoms which can go with SM. I assume he has had a MRI scan?

My boy Rebel was asymptomatic until a few weeks ago, when he had problems walking, an aversion to light in one eye, then started howling with pain. The vet prescribed Frusemide as a starter medication, which has worked so well that he is free of al the symptoms and looks much better too.

I really hope that your boy's scratching stops now that he has the medication and that he will thrive from now on :D

A heart breaking diagnosis! Sorry for what you and your Maggie are going through. I sincerely hope the medication helps and that she will live a long and painfree life!

I am a new member and just recently heard about SM.

I am a new member and just recently heard about SM. I have a 2 1/2 yrs old male Blenheim called Bee. He has some of the symtoms i.e scratching, face rubbing but I don't think he is in pain. Vet told me it is allergy (scratching) but I just have the uneasy feeling and want to get the best for him. I know it is so devastated to hear the bad news about Maggie but if you can help me since you just went through it. What should I do as the next step? How did you find out? Do you know any experienced vets with Cavalier or SM in Souther nCalifornia?
Thanks so much
Kitty

:( My 3yr. old Cavalier, Maggie was just diagnosed with SM. Needless to say, we are devastated. Luckily she is not showing signs of pain, but only scratching. She begins medication today and we hope to avoid surgery if possible. This forum has alot of information and it has helped reading the experiences of others going through the same thing. I just want to enjoy every minute with her and do everything I can to give her the best quality of life possible, a feeling that I know is shared with so many of you.

I am a new member and just recently heard about SM. I have a 2 1/2 yrs old male Blenheim called Bee. He has some of the symtoms i.e scratching, face rubbing but I don't think he is in pain. Vet told me it is allergy (scratching) but I just have the uneasy feeling and want to get the best for him. I know it is so devastated to hear the bad news about Maggie but if you can help me since you just went through it. What should I do as the next step? How did you find out? Do you know any experienced vets with Cavalier or SM in Souther nCalifornia?
Thanks so much
Kitty

I went to 5 different vets before we got a SM diagnosis, all of whom said it was allergies. I don't want to terrify you, but if your intuition is telling you something better be safe than sorry.

I am so sorry for you. We just got diagnosed Luka is 2.5 yrs. The medication does help.

Thanks so much
Kitty

I hate to say this but scratching and face rubbing that are SM related ARE symptoms of pain. :( Many people with SM dogs dont realize this. neuropathic pain is very strange and it is not at all obvious to see it in our dogs.
Please go see a neurologist asap, because if he does have SM, you'd want to put him on medication asap.
Lynn and Blondie

Thanks so much
Kitty

I know there is one in socal! A womam in santa monica told me. Its a woman neuroligist and unfortunately i dont know her name but she lives in the santa monica or malibu area.

Back