• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

gurgling stomach !!

Rubysmum

hi all, just hoping someone can give me some quick advice... rubys stomach is making very strange gurgling noises .. loud and long and its sounds like she has a cat in there!!!!!!!!!!!!! shes had 2 bouts of colitisand has only just got over one so am hoping its not that. im pretty sure shes not eaten anything bad and shes had no treats lately ( shes on burns dry food) weve been out today and shes had a normal poo (sorry) and she was as active as usual but the noises are still coming. is there anything i can give her to settle it down , and is this something that may pass without turning nasty ? thanks for any help ..

It could go either way. It is often the sound I hear before colitis or gastroenteritis. I'd not feed her for 24 hours. If you have a dog prone to colitis it is worth getting as tube of Prokolin or similar -- I find this really settles their stomachs and can prevent things worsening. Most vets have it and it is non prescription. It is generally a bit cheaper online.

thank you karlin. i think i will get some of that ,just googled and looks worth having in. her tummy is a bit quieter now and shes sleeping soundly so im keeping everything crossed she doesnt get sick.. shes had it 3 times but ive usually been able to pinpoint something - few extra or different treats etc but theres nothing this time i can think of so heres hoping (y)

When Jasper had colitis a few weeks ago he had a very loud gurling tummy (he had never had colitis before so did not know what to expect), anyway a trip to the vets and one of the medications we came home with was Pro Kolin, I had never heard of it before, but after a bit of research I bought some on line and a lot cheaper to , so that is now in my store cupboard - have already used it once when my puppy had a bit of a tummy upet. Hope Ruby is better soon.

My Rylie's stomach gurgles when he has an upset. I learned the hard way (by withholding food) that when that happens I need to feed him - preferably small amounts at frequent intervals or he will start vomiting as well as having the runs. I "think" we have found the source of the worst of his upsets (he can't eat beef) but I also found that having him on a probiotic has done wonders.

we have been for another walk and she was fetching the ball and going crazy like normal .. so just given her a handful of burns as she seems really hungry , and her noises have subsided loads . i "think" we have had a false alarm this time ,phew . shes only 18 months and has had 3 bouts of very bloody diarreahh(sp) and i dread it happening now . fingers croosed. and im going to order some of that stuff for sure (y)

I have found that the gurgling can be a forerunner to a stomach upset.
I too would give pro-kolin and also small fairly bland meals ( Denes Senior Chicken Lamb and Rice works for me )

If such a dog is at all reluctant to eat then I would not encourage them.

thank you .. but am happy to report that it didnt develop into anything more :wggle::wggle: she didnt eat much yesterday but was her usual active self and she slept through last night ( apart from her 3 am wee stop aka her ploy to wiggle into my bed when my resistance is low ) so happy days :pi*no: long may it .. no im not saying it just in case , :-D

So glad to hear Ruby is OK now - give her a hug from me and the Waggers
Huggywrappoog.gif

Back