• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jasper has the runs!

Jasper and Holly

Poor Jasper has been up most of the night with the runs. So have we but that's not important LOL. We do have a doggy door but we have two cats which we don't let out qt night. The only thing I can think it is although Holly has had the same and she doesn't have the runs! I gave them a BARF patty well half of one each with some kibble. They have had it twice before but only a quarter each and that was a while ago with no runs!
Any suggestions as how to ease this for him?

Thanks

Deb

sorry ive not got much advice but you have my sympathy .. ruby has had colitis 3 times inthe past few months , she had very bloody diarreah though and was vomiting too . is jasper passing blood ? i have been advised to get some Prokolin i think it settles the stomach dont know if you have heard of it. encourage him to drink lots of water so he doesnt get dehydrated. good luck hope he gets better quickly !

Canned Pumpkin!! It work's wonders. Try a tablespoon or so either on its own or mixed into food. Does great things for upset tummies, firming up stools etc. Just google "Canned pumpkin for dogs" and you will find all kinds of info. Hope this helps!

Thanks Rubysmum and Erin,
I googled both and I will try him with some pumpkin but I'm not sure I can get Prokolin here in Australia. I have family in Manchester uk so I might ask them to look for me! He doesn't have blood in his poo. I have decided to not feed him today and see how he goes. It's weird Holly hasn't got it but then maybe he has eaten something in the garden. He has always been a little bugger for chewing sticks when he was younger! His mum was called Mystique ( sticky ) for short and we wondered why not misty then found out why because she loved sticks. LOL
He has picked up today so hopefully he get better soon. If not the vets on Monday.
Thanks again.

Cool, I always have a can of it in my cupboard for Polly just in case. I actually used canned pumpkin pretty much daily, I mix it into my cats food (they are notorious food beggers and stealers :rolleyes:) and it's a good low calorie item to help bulk up their food and makes them feel fuller. It also has the additional bonus of helping with hairballs. Oh and I forgot to mention, I have read that if you feed both kibble and raw you should not feed them together in the same meal but at least 5-6 hours apart as they digest at different rates. Some ppl feed it together with no problems, but I just wanted to throw that out there just in case :)

Hi Erin,
Thanks for that. I usually feed raw first thing in the morning and then a little kibble at night. He has not been fed today apart from a little pumpkin this evening. I am hoping he will be better tomorrow.This will give his stomach a rest! He has been ok today with the last poo at lunch time. Fingers crossed!

Rubysmum and Erin,
Just wanted to let you know Jasper is good this morning. He didn't get up in the night. All I gave him yesterday was a little pumpkin as I thought giving his stomach a rest would be best. He went out this morning and the pumpkin has worked. Thanks again for that tip. I think maybe like you say Erin it may have been the kibble and patty together something I haven't done before and won't do again.
To be honest I bought the BARF patties just to give them a try for a change every now and then. I don't like the look of them and prefer to give them fresh meat that I know what's in it!

Wonderful! So glad it seemed to help and Jasper is feeling better :wggle: Hmm it could have been the kibble and patty together but who knows!

Back