Thread: Squealing loudly when out for a walk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squealing loudly when out for a walk

I have just started walking my 2 girls Fluer and Lucy (14 weeks old) The problem I have is they both are so excited by their walks that they intermittently shreek very loudly and this can continue for about 20 seconds each time, it is extremely embarrassing particularly as I get a few disapproving looks from people in the park who I imagine suspect that the screaming is down to me abusing my babies. Any advice on how to stop this and save my sanity would be gratefully appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid I can't really offer any advice. My two both do the same thing, Murphy picked it up off of Misty when we got her two years ago. Misty's squeal is very high pitched, it does sound as if we've trod on her or something, we just ignore them both. Once they have stopped we set off on our walk
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that might help is to be a bit tough! Put on their harnesses and leads, go out of the front door, and the moment they start squealing, say no firmly and if they don't stop - back into the house, take off harness and lead and no more walk. If they stop squealing when you say no, you walk on. But squealing = no walk. I think the penny might drop! And hopefully they'll grow out of it, especially as they learn to respond to no in all areas of life.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

I just had to laugh when I read this!! Because mine do exactly the same thing and it's like they're singing an opera and it's so embarrassing, especially when we're walking through town. I do say a firm 'No' to them and use shushing noises and stop walking until they calm down. It works after a few minutes, ignoring it helps too. It's so funny though, because they really do get so excited. It happened today when we all decided to go together at a church gate collection for a local animal rescue (Cottage Rescue). I think people thought they were crying for money or something!
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.