Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Cav's markings grow with age?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do Cav's markings grow with age?

This may sound like an odd question but has anyone noticed their Blenheim Cav's markings growing as the puppy grew into adulthood? My main concern is her kiss...right now she has near perfect markings around her ears with a little kiss in the middle. I am afraid though that the markings around her ears will grow and eventually bleed into her kiss and she will lose her kiss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't worry, it's a question that a lot of people wonder about– how their puppy will end up looking as an adult.

The colors definitely do spread and a lot of small marks disappear–for example the mask on a Blenheim would tend to become far more pronounced than it would appear on a puppy. The colors always close in on white as the dog becomes an adult, but this is far more extreme on tri-colors as the black spreads considerably more. A narrow white blaze on a tricolor puppy, for example, often will completely disappear and become solid black, while small patches of white might be absorbed completely into larger black areas. This is far less extreme on blenheims, but yes, the red areas will fill in.

The answer to your specific question is really that it's very hard to know. If you post a picture of her currently, stating the age, it would be a little easier to tell you. I am not sure though what you mean by a “kiss”. Do you mean a blenheim spot on her forehead? These usually remain distinct if they're central, but if the mark is off to one side and very close to the red of the mask it could be absorbed.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first post and, oddly, I was just remarking today that Bentley's markings seem to be different than 5 weeks ago when we got him. He's now 3 months old. He's had several freckles on the right side of his mouth for a while and lately a few are appearing on the other side. The red spots on his back and sides seem to be getting larger and darker. His "blenheim" spot still looks the same only a little darker.

He's such a cutie and we love him to death. This is our first experience with a house dog of any kind and we're taken aback by the shedding, but love conquers all.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is a pic

It is a little blurry but I think you can see her markings pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsSteffee View Post
    It is a little blurry but I think you can see her markings pretty well.
    Yep, that's a blenheim spot!
    Mommy to....

Chamberlain (10 month Male Blenheim Cavalier)
    Sasha (6 year old Female Great Pyrennes)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the little spot will connect with the markings around the ears because there sure is a lot of white around it, but hey things change. I remember my Rottweiler as a puppy had very light brown markings and a lot of brown around his face, and as he got older his color deepened and some of the color around his face went away and turned black.

We just don't ever really know!

Post Thanks / Like

Default But aren't they all just so cute anyway!!!

Honestly, it amazes me that such beautiful dogs even exist! They were made to melt our hearts! I can't wait to see what happens to Gracie's markings. Some are still changing a tad. Some of her nose freckles are getting smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

Rose as a baby (4 weeks?):

Rose at 12 weeks:

I think this is 5 or 6 months:

And this was about a month ago (9 months):

So, it changed a good bit (just about "bled into" the side marking between 4 weeks and 12 weeks, but hasn't changed that much since then. There is still a tiny line of white hairs between her spot and the side marking, but it blends with the hair. She's our first Cav, so I don't know if this is typical or not, just thought I'd share since hers started out in the middle and changed.

Post Thanks / Like

I love those spots on the top. I heard someone call it a 'thumbprint', not sure if that is correct, but it sure is cute.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Bentley's spot on the head is starting to bleed into the side, or the other way around. All this just since my earlier post on the 6th. Just a few white hairs separating it.