• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do Cav's markings grow with age?

MsSteffee

This may sound like an odd question but has anyone noticed their Blenheim Cav's markings growing as the puppy grew into adulthood? My main concern is her kiss...right now she has near perfect markings around her ears with a little kiss in the middle. I am afraid though that the markings around her ears will grow and eventually bleed into her kiss and she will lose her kiss.

Don't worry, it's a question that a lot of people wonder about– how their puppy will end up looking as an adult.:)

The colors definitely do spread and a lot of small marks disappear–for example the mask on a Blenheim would tend to become far more pronounced than it would appear on a puppy. The colors always close in on white as the dog becomes an adult, but this is far more extreme on tri-colors as the black spreads considerably more. A narrow white blaze on a tricolor puppy, for example, often will completely disappear and become solid black, while small patches of white might be absorbed completely into larger black areas. This is far less extreme on blenheims, but yes, the red areas will fill in.

The answer to your specific question is really that it's very hard to know. If you post a picture of her currently, stating the age, it would be a little easier to tell you. I am not sure though what you mean by a “kiss”. Do you mean a blenheim spot on her forehead? These usually remain distinct if they're central, but if the mark is off to one side and very close to the red of the mask it could be absorbed.

This is my first post and, oddly, I was just remarking today that Bentley's markings seem to be different than 5 weeks ago when we got him. He's now 3 months old. He's had several freckles on the right side of his mouth for a while and lately a few are appearing on the other side. The red spots on his back and sides seem to be getting larger and darker. His "blenheim" spot still looks the same only a little darker.

He's such a cutie and we love him to death. This is our first experience with a house dog of any kind and we're taken aback by the shedding, but love conquers all.......

Here is a pic

It is a little blurry but I think you can see her markings pretty well.
attachment.php

I don't think the little spot will connect with the markings around the ears because there sure is a lot of white around it, but hey things change. I remember my Rottweiler as a puppy had very light brown markings and a lot of brown around his face, and as he got older his color deepened and some of the color around his face went away and turned black.

We just don't ever really know!

But aren't they all just so cute anyway!!!

Honestly, it amazes me that such beautiful dogs even exist! They were made to melt our hearts! I can't wait to see what happens to Gracie's markings. Some are still changing a tad. Some of her nose freckles are getting smaller. :l*v:

Rose as a baby (4 weeks?):
Cavalier-chat-spot-3.jpg

Rose at 12 weeks:
Cavalier-spot-4.jpg

I think this is 5 or 6 months:
Cavalier-chat-spot-1.jpg

And this was about a month ago (9 months):
cavalier-chat-spot-2.jpg

So, it changed a good bit (just about "bled into" the side marking between 4 weeks and 12 weeks, but hasn't changed that much since then. There is still a tiny line of white hairs between her spot and the side marking, but it blends with the hair. She's our first Cav, so I don't know if this is typical or not, just thought I'd share since hers started out in the middle and changed. ;)

I love those spots on the top. I heard someone call it a 'thumbprint', not sure if that is correct, but it sure is cute.

Yep, Bentley's spot on the head is starting to bleed into the side, or the other way around. All this just since my earlier post on the 6th. Just a few white hairs separating it.

i love that everything im wondering happens to have been talked about or asked on this board.
Ive already posted my puppy pictures in another topic in the puppy board..but for quick refrence..
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152150602940305.905966.566055304&type=3&l=10579c3ae2
ive been eyeing one or two pups (i dont know which i get, only know its one of the 4 females) for their makrings on their sides..but i was eyeing their masks..some of them are just around the eyes alone..and some go up twards their forheads
do you guys think the ones with the masks around eyes alone (smaller masks i guess) will fill in more?

The "kiss, thumbprint, queen's thumbprint" has a history/story all its own. Here's an interesting link http://cavalierplanet.com/articles/myths.htm

I was told the story of a nervious queen waiting at home for her beloved husband who was leading the battle of Blehiem. She was so worried she took to petting her little "red and white" spainel as comfort. The dog was pregnant and when all the puppies were born they all had a perfect "red" marking on the tops of their heads which became known as the queen's thumbprint. Its a nice story but....

8032510662_69149fdac6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] This is Fletcher at 3 weeks old.

8032510894_6223b6f719.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] At 6 weeks old

8032510963_760f14148c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] At 12 weeks meeting the boys for the first time.

8032510268_048e479997.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] At 5 months

I think his marking are perfect :) I am extremely happy how they are growing in. Someone told me his one brown/red leg pictured in this last photo is called a show leg. All the others are white. Whatever if he turned purple tomorrow (and its wasn't because he was ill) I won't care.

Following up on the thumbprint - technically called a lozenge - the rubbing story is about Sarah Churchill, whose husband John was the hero of the battle of Blenheim. He was made Duke of Marlborough and had Blenheim Palace (near Oxford) built for him as a reward. For a couple of hundred years, the Marlboroughs bred little red and white spaniels on their estate, hence the name for the colour in our Cavaliers.

A couple of years ago the Cavalier Club held a weekend at Blenheim Palace - fun day on Saturday, championship show on Sunday. I went along with my two on the Saturday and had a really nice day, sitting in the sun talking to friends within sight of Blenheim Palace. Aled is a Blenheim (with a lozenge) and I've always wanted to take my Blenheim Cavalier to Blenheim Palace!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back