• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

If only they could do this with Cavaliers

James

I just read this article about someone showing a Dalmatian with pointer genes in Crufts and the purists being up in arms about it. If the same could be done with Cavaliers I'm sure many would be all for it. I do not know much about it but my understanding is the pointer genes add something to the Dalmatian rather than remove "bad" genes.
Am I correct in saying that the causes of sm and mvd have still to be identified?

I just read this article about someone showing a Dalmatian with pointer genes in Crufts and the purists being up in arms about it. If the same could be done with Cavaliers I'm sure many would be all for it. I do not know much about it but my understanding is the pointer genes add something to the Dalmatian rather than remove "bad" genes.
Am I correct in saying that the causes of sm and mvd have still to be identified?

This dog was imported from the USA and is described as a 'mongrel' by breed purists, but in fact now has over 95% Dalmation genes and wins at championship shows.
She is 18 generations away from the Pointer that was introduced to produce puppies that did not inherit a gene that made all Dalmations at risk of bladder stones, and in male Dalmations carried the threat of blockage of the uretha and death.

Show bred Dalmations in the UK all carry this 'bad' gene and need a special diet and constant supervision. I read a horrific account of a dog that died when staying overnight in a boarding kennel and I cannot understand the mentality of anyone that would risk such a death for any animal.

You are right that the genes for MVD and SM have not yet been found, but even if they were identified I doubt whether many Cavalier show breeders would agree to an outcross to another breed.

Jemima Harrison has blogged about this article and there are some interesting comments:-

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2011/03/dalmatian-diehards-would-be-disgusted.html#comments

Last edited:
Back