• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cardiologist Heart Clinic Information

anniemac

After all this talk of MVD and reading Rod's site and what Pat said, it is vital that Cavaliers have their hearts checked by a cardiologist once a year. So I checked Rod's website for upcoming clinics and there are none close by. On his list of Board Certified Cardiologists, there is someone in my city. So I called and asked if she would do a clinic or something if I got a group together. I only have to get three cavaliers (or dogs) and the exam will be $35 for each cavalier (after I pay for my consultation of $120)

This seems well worth it but can anyone tell me how I can explain to Cavalier owners in a newsletter I do, why it is important vs. a vet? I know that a vet may not pick up a murmur, but if it is detected earlier how does that result in better treatment?

I think it should not be breeders doing this as Rod and others have told me. So I hope I can get three others :blabla:

...This seems well worth it but can anyone tell me how I can explain to Cavalier owners in a newsletter I do, why it is important vs. a vet? I know that a vet may not pick up a murmur, but if it is detected earlier how does that result in better treatment?

I think it should not be breeders doing this as Rod and others have told me. So I hope I can get three others :blabla:

Anne, first, I'm not sure what you mean in your next to last sentence about breeders. It is very important for breeders to have their breeding stock's hearts checked, to find out if they fit within the MVD breeding protocol. Some breeders sponsor their own clinics, which is very commendable.

As for pet cavaliers, being checked by a cardiologist is the best thing to do, and I recommend that owners take their cavaliers to cardiologists at local heart clinics once a year, if there are any nearby. This is because cardiogists generally are better at accurately detecting and grading heart valve murmurs.

But if there is no clinic nearby, a pet owner can rely upon the judgment of a general practice (GP) vet for listening for murmurs.

I recomend this: If there is no cardiologist reasonably available and at a reasonable price, I would have the GP vet listen to the valves for murmurs. The first time a GP detects a murmur, I then would be sure to take the cavalier to a cardiologist within the next six months to confirm the presence and grade of the murmur. And, perhaps also have an x-ray, called a baseline x-ray, to have something to compare subsequent x-rays after the MVD progresses. Then, each year thereafter, I would take the cavalier to a cardiologist -- heart clinic or otherwise -- to check the progress, if any, of the murmur.

As far as treatment is concerned, usually no early treatment is prescribed, but I would rely only upon the cardiologist to prescribe any medications.

Rod,

I talked to the board certified cardiologist and she will do testing for $35. Talked to a breeder who is definately interested. Just have to send an email out of who is interested and will contact regional clubs too to see if any breeders or pet owner will also be interested. She will complete one of those forms. My friend mentioned if I can also get optimologist but I think I will stick with this. It doesn't matter who comes, but that is a good price she is willing to do. (She is on your list)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back