• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

collar

CSutherland

Bentley is 3 months old and, even though we live in the country, I need to be able to control him if we go on a walk. I first bought a harness and couldn't get it on him he was so outraged, wiggly, scared, or whatever. I took that back and bought a collar and when I put it on, allowing the 2-finger space, he went nuts, crying as if in pain. That came off too. Last week he was groomed for the first time and the groomer put a little bandana on him which he seemed to accept while being held, but on his feet he whined and tried to rub it off.

How can I accomplish this? This is our first experience with any house dog.

my Beans is/was like that!
when i put her first collar on her, she would scream and whine and rush abound trying to brush it off!
it took a week for her to accept that a collar is not the end of the world.
she will still not accept a harness, though (is 9 months now). she tries to brush it off, squeaks and whines, so i have more or less given that up.

the collar she accepts without protest, but it took a while. a new collar, which probably has a different 'feel' she will try to scratch off, but accepts it in the end..

i think you should give time, and not make a big deal of it. :eek:

Success! I was told before his first obedience class that he'd need to arrive on a leash. I had not yet returned the collar & leash I had tried earlier, so I put Bentley on my lap, petted & sweet-talked him for a few minutes and gradually slipped the collar on. He has done very well with it. When he first wakes up he acts annoyed by the collar but after a minute he's fine with it. I'm so glad I got this accomplished!

The trick with any foreign object is to get them comfortable with it gradually. So rather than forcing him to wear it from the get-go, perhaps leave it out for a couple of days, sometimes putting treats near it each time. That will train him to associate the object with something pleasant. Eventually he'll get used to -what- the object is. Then you move on to the next step, i.e. putting it on him. Again, help him associate that exercise with pleasantness. Yep, you guessed it -- treats!

Our Skippy goes into a tizzy now anytime we whip out his collar or harness, because he knows that means he's gonna get to go out!

I decided to try to walk Bentley with his leash this afternoon since we finally had a beautiful day. He went stubborn on me, either sitting or lying down, rather than walking. Later on I took him out again on the leash to potty (hopefully), which he actually did! Hopefully, next week we'll get more help from the trainer on this.

Back