• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Recommendations for bowel bacteria imbalance

GraciesMom

Gracie seems to have a problem keeping a good bacteria balance in her bowels. She ends up with a tad of colitis very easily every 4-6 weeks or so. Mostly leads to diarrhea and/or muscousy poop. She is on Flagyl again for third time since we have had her. We have really made it impossible for her to pick up stuff outside or inside she should not eat and the vet thinks she is just easily prone to this. In the process, we have learned that chicken is off her menu forever... home-cooked or canned. The home-cooked boiled chicken made her even sicker.

The vet suggests putting her on probiotics daily for at least the near future and we will have to further restrict her diet to something like lamb/rice or venison/rice. I would love any suggestions you all have for:
  • On-going diet for fussy bowels
  • Probiotic products that are effective
  • Given that she can't eat chicken, what do you all recommend as a bland diet alternative with rice when she needs one?
She is just about 10 months old and I sure feel bad for the wee thingl. Just when we have her eating consistently, she gets a bout of this and we start all over again with a routine. Any help is appreciated.

Would turkey work instead of chicken? It might be too similar. Maybe some kind of white fish, my dad always gives that to his dogs for upset stomach and it seems to work on them.

Great idea...

I can get fresh white fish at a local market pretty cheap... never thought of that! Had no idea if it was gentle on the tummy or not.

Pippin used to get severe collitis and also has a major poultry allergy (especially chicken).

I feed him James wellbeloved lamb and rice variety, dry kibble.

Find pro kolin and goats yogurt good when needed.

Hope this advice helps:) Collitis is very distressing...

Thanks everyone!

I think the lamb and goat yogurt is a great idea. I will have to find a source of the goat yogurt here, but we have a speciality foods place that very likely will have it.

Maddie has had a few bouts of this - like Gracie we have to avoid chicken with her, and turkey also upsets her a bit but mnot as much.

We have her on Fish 4 Dogs (not sure if its available outside the UK) and she is brilliant on it. Firm output, no colitis this year, and she really likes it. My friend with a labrador with colitis issues has also changed to this food with good results.

When she needs a bland diet we give steamed white fish.

I hope Gracie is better soon.

Thanks all! And update

Gracie is doing much better. We went back to giving her some lamb & brown rice (with no additives) for past two days with a bit of yogurt. We are slowly adding in a high quality lamb & rice wet food that is more balanced but VERY slowly and will start adding back her dry kibble tomorrow. I have ordered a US version of the probiotic gel that several of you recommended. The vet recommended Probiocin and so I ordered about 5 tubes of that and Gracie LOVES it... lickey lickey. (y) Thinks it is a treat!

I also found some organic yogurt probiotic treats and I ordered one package. Will let you all know if that works out well or not.

I definitely will try the white fish next time instead of chicken. She has not been crazy about any fish stuff so far, even a taste. So not sure if that will work or not.

Back