Thread: Coconut Oil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coconut Oil

I was reading on a thread earlier about giving cav's coconut oil (I think it was Erin who mentioned it) and I would love to start adding this to Brooklyn's diet as I really think it will help with her skin. I found a great organic extra virgin coconut oil for pets here in Australia, and I would like to order! So here a a few questions for those that give their cav's coconut oil

1) I currently give Brooklyn an Omega 3&6 oil with her food, should I keep doing that as well as the coconut oil?
    2) Will adding this to her diet make her gian weight? (note - I currently give Brooky dry kibble twice a day). Do you pull back on a little food or is it fine to just add in?
    3) Do your dogs like it? Any interesting health results?

Thanks everyone!!!
    Last edited by BrooklynMom; 16th March 2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: added a few things

Post Thanks / Like

Yep it was me

You can absolutely give both coconut oil and salmon oil as a supplement, I alternatate days. The link below will answer your questions regarding that, weight (it actually can help a dog lose weight) and any other questions. Polly absolutely adores it and most people I give samples of it to at work say their dogs really seem to love the taste. When Polly is being a finicky eater she will gobble down anything if I put coconut oil on top. I have spoken to my holisitc vet about it and he gives it a big thumbs up. My coworkers dog (black lab) has severe arthritis and hypothyroidism and she gives it to her dog as well and seems to notice a difference in her energy level and discomfort

FAQ's about coconut oil
    http://www.cocotherapy.com/faq_cocotherapy.htm

The Whole Dog Journal's article about coconut oil
    http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...s/15754-1.html
    Erin aka Mommy to Polly (Blenheim) 3-30-2009 And Cat children, Salem, Emma & Ellie
    The love of my life
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    Tobey- I miss you terribly my sweet boy. We will be together again

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Erin...I thought it was you!

I am going to give this stuff a try. I cannot get the brand you mentioned here is Australia, but this organic extra virgin one seems very much the same. I'll let you know how Brooklyn likes it!

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya, on the link that Erins posted (coco therapy.com) there is a list of international suppliers & via that i found the UK supplier if that helps
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very interesting. I'm a WDJ subscriber so going to check that link. I literally last night just got a jar of coconut oil for myself (to make some raw macaroons!!! YUM)
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

I was interested in the Cocotherapy too but as you said i cannot find it in Australia
    Where is the one you have found?

Thanks heaps!
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Denali...Here is what I have found in Australia. They have great customer service, so if you have any questions...just call them. It is organic too

http://www.kokonutpacific.com.au/Niu...uPet.php?ID=44

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a nutrition nut and eat coconut oil regularly myself for health benefits. Be sure to buy organic extra virgin oil made without a heat process. Radiant Life makes an excellent oil.

http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/pr...lthy-fats-oils

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    Hey Denali...Here is what I have found in Australia. They have great customer service, so if you have any questions...just call them. It is organic too

http://www.kokonutpacific.com.au/Niu...uPet.php?ID=44
    Thanks Brooklyn I will definitely look into it!
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~