• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

red runny eyes

Nalu

I have a 13 month who has always had bloodshot eyes that drain. My vet has suggested waiting until she's through growing and allergy testing after 12 mos. Any suggestions for typical allergies and things I can try to eliminate her exposure to? Thank you!

Unfortunately dogs (not just Cavaliers) can be allergic to a huge range of things - from creosote on fences, to couch grass, grass seeds, dust mites in the house, food, floor cleaner etc, etc! So tracking down a particular allergy is far from easy. It's worth keeping a diary of when your girl's eyes are at their worst: is it seasonal? After you use a chemical-based cleaner on the kitchen floor? Outdoors or indoors? After a particular food she only has occasionally (chicken is quite a common allergy)? This could be a great help to your vet.

In the meantime, you could make her more comfortable by bathing her eyes regularly - it doesn't have to be something from your vet, even tepid water helps. My Aled gets sore eyes occasionally and for him I use Witch Hazel or a mild eye wash bought from a good onlne vet site - you can check it out with your own vet.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back