• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

More problems with colitis... questions as serious issues may be involved

Pat... thanks so much for raising good questions

You raise really good questions about a colonoscopy. I will definitely consider that. I do think working on elimination diet is coming if deworming and the meds do not work this time. They did do full bloodwork on her kidneys, pancreas, etc. and urine analysis....NO problems there at all. She has had no problems urinating. So there is a chance what they saw today was due to the subcuteous fluid injection they gave her yesterday or a very minor kidney infection that has not shown any signs yet. So will keep an eye on that.

MommytoClaire...Sadly, her first case of colitis occurred several months ago and so my pet insurance will NOT cover that. But it will cover a followup ultrasound to make sure her kidney issue has resolved by then.

I appreciate you all more than you know!

Yes... Gracie had unine analysis... and other kidney tests

First good news.... Gracie slept through the night and her poop this morning was definitely improved. First time that her morning poop was not runny in 7 days! woo hoo! Still a bit too soft and coloring still a bit orange (likely from the sulfa drug she was taking until Sunday afternoon). I think she just did not respond well to the sulfa med like she does with flagyl and it looks like the probiotic gel was interfering with meds, even when giving it far apart.

As to kidney and urine tests..all showed no problem. We will do another ultrasound in 5-6 weeks and if the issue is not resolved on ultrasound, we will treat her for kidney infection. I am not seeing ANY signs of that at all. She has continued to pee as usual and urine looks fine. No licking of that area at all. The vet said this renal dilation can appear if she got alot of fluid fast... and the subcutenous fluid in her back on Sunday to prevent dehydration could have caused that to appear. But keeping a close watch... at least that would be covered by insurance since unrelated to her colitis.

Last edited:
Well... everyone pretty sure that this is irritable bowel syndrome

So makes Gracie more susceptible to diarrhea anyway...and anything she picks up out of her usual diet can set her off. I posted another question here about diet....new thread

Cooper now 8mts had colitis 3 times in a row,vets treated him with flagyl and a white suspension,cant rem the name,each time he was treated he responded really well but then as soon as he went back on his normal food it returned. I tried lots of different dry foods with no success. Eventuallly found one that suited him! He's on a fish and brown rice dry food,Burns,gluten free & hypoallergenic,and thriving on it! Maybe its a simple food intolerence? Its a pain trying to find out whats causing it but at least now you know a lot of the major causes are outruled right? Hope you get it sorted out and she gets back on the mend!

I agree this is diet related....

Food intolerance or allergies can cause IBS or make it worse. So we are on the way to trying new direction for food....but really really slow. You can check the other thread I started on what we are thinking about. Will likely try a frozen raw food diet if things do not get better for her soon. She is stable now and 2 poops that were about 50% better.

Back