• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grooming

john

Hello

Is it ok to get my cav groomed? She is nearly 12 weeks now - how soon is ok to bring her?

Thanks,

Caroline

Hi Caroline

I'm not quite sure why you think your puppy needs to go to a groomers? At 12 weeks she can't have enough coat to need trimming, and unless she's been rolling in fox droppings she shouldn't need bathing. I suppose if you intend her to go to the groomers regularly when she's older, introducing her to the experience at an early age (really just going to the parlour and meeting the groomer and being handled) could be a good idea, but I've had 5 Cavaliers over the last 30 years, including breed showing two of them, and none of them has ever needed to go to the groomers. I bath them in the shower at home, have some trimming scissors to tidy them up a little bit and clippers for their nails, but otherwise just give them a good brush and comb. Running a comb through ears and feathers every day prevents tangles before they get too bad, and I keep hair on feet trimmed (both round the toes and underneath) - for the sake of my kitchen floor as well as the comfort of the dog!

I know others will disagree with me, but unless your girl develops a very heavy coat which is more comfortable in summer if cut short, or hates having her nails trimmed (and you can get her used to that sort of handling now), I see no point in spending money on groomers (and I don't have the money to spend, especially now I've got two Cavaliers!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I agree why have her groomed. Their coats are beautiful the way they are apart from a little trim to make them more comfortable, and that's easily done yourself. I think once you have them clipped they never look the same again. I suppose it's personal preference really.

12 weeks seems really young, like the above posters mentioned, her coat is still short and puppy like at that age. Can't imagine why you would need to have it done. I do have my cavalier groomed, her first visit was around 6-8 months I think. She just went to the groomer today actually. I have her nails cut, ears cleaned, anal glands expressed, feet cleaned up a bit, her feathering just slightly trimmed and evened out, and her rear end cleaned up to prevent messy accidents. She looks gorgeous when she is done :)

Are you meaning 'drop the puppy off for a bath and nail trim'? At that age a cavalier puppy won't need much grooming.

Groomers should require that all clients have current shots, but don't take that as a guarantee that they enforce it. If your puppy hasn't had her vaccines she could be exposed to parvovirus, or kennel cough.

Why the rush to get her a groomer?

Groomers should require that all clients have current shots, but don't take that as a guarantee that they enforce it. If your puppy hasn't had her vaccines she could be exposed to parvovirus, or kennel cough.

I've never had a groomer ask me about vaccines (not that they shouldn't) but I've been to several..no one has ever asked me anything about it.

Only asking for advice as i am new to owning a cavalier, have no intention of taking her for a good while yet.

Will wait for 6-8 months - thanks Erin :)

I took Coco in for her first grooming at around 12 weeks old. She had absolutely no need for any hair trimming, but to simply get her used to being kenneled away from me, have new people handle her, and hearing the noises of the hair blowers and all was an experience I wanted to get her used to right from the get go.

She has had a professional bath only 3 times, and the say she is the best little girl for them! I was asked for proof of rabies vaccination, age appropriate according to laws in the area.

My biggest concern would be exposure to unvaccinated dogs, or germs/bacteria left behind, with a dog that is young, and not done with all their puppy shots. So, I'm glad you are waiting. I remember my Vet warning me not to take Claire to places like dog parks, or let her be on the ground/floor at pet stores, etc, because of exposure, until all her puppy shots were complete.

One of the things I like about the Cavaliers is that you don't have to groom them (well, except for the occassional 'clean up' clipping), other than baths, brushing/combing and nail trimming. I have a Cocker and he has a VERY heavy coat. Though I groom him myself, I have to plan on a good afternoon with him every 6 weeks or so to cut all his hair. I am thankful I won't have that with Claire.

Cindy and Claire

Nalu was first groomed at 10 mos. because of matting behind her ears and front legs. She won't let me brush her and I hope as she gets older she won't be so difficult. Her puppy fur is so soft and mats so easily. I'm hoping to find a brush she can tolerate. She's really good about bathing a getting her nails clipped but hates brushing.

I brush my two everyday they are so used to it. Jasper is easy as, his coat is so easy to brush, he has such a good manageable coat. Holly's coat is so fine and easily knots and matts but I have found a dematting comb that gets all that out so easy. I also use a soft slicker brush on both of them and that's really good too.
You just have to get her used to being groomed. They don't like it at first but the more you do it the easier it gets, even when she is just sitting with you, she'll soon get used to it.
Holly looks like she has a winter coat it's really weird it's very light in colour and looks like fluff. I must take a photo and post it on here.

Back