• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Protecting shaved tummy.... best options?

GraciesMom

Gracie had her gut shaved today for ultrasound, which mainly ruled out issues causing her colitis. What should I do to take care of this area since it is now bare?
Any ointments to use? Is she likely to scratch this area?

Just went through this with Roxie and Tucker in the last month. I did nothing! Roxie completely ignored hers, and Tucker scratched just a little bit (did no damage) and within a couple of days it didn't seem to bother him.

If you use any ointment, she is likely to lick it off and/or she'll leave a greasy spot on the furniture.

Pat

Thanks Pat!!!

I hope your two babies did not hate being shaved as much as Gracie did. They said she fought like a tiger!

Nah, mine were like lambs. They put them upside down in a foam v-shaped wedge and shaved them upside down and then apply the ultrasound "goo" and then wand them. Roxie (shih tzu) squiggled around a little. Tucker was an angel......as always. It was strange because the vet couldn't find Tucker's spleen or adrenals at first. A lot of his organs are tucked up under his ribcage which is more common in deep chested breeds so it took some hard pressing to find things. Also, as I mentioned, there were a lot of feces in his colon despite a 15 hour fast which caused problems visualizing the organs. (That is where I learned that he also has slow motility.) But he was an angel. He is a good boy. And findings for both were normal. Roxie has had crystals in her urine and we were looking for stones in bladder or kidneys. You can actually see crystals in a dog's bladder on ultrasound. The vet was really good about explaining and teaching as he went along.

Pat

Yes, Gracie may have some slow motility or...

Some temporary issues slowing this stuff down because of her bowel infection and the overall stress that has caused her. I know the vet visits are temporary stresses that may keep things from improving as fast as they should.

This is such a helpful and supportive place... thank you all so much

Back