• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you keep a sock on a cavalier?

freesia

My poor Barney who is 4yrs old now, had to have a small op on Friday. The vet took his dressing off on Sunday but as he has two stitches in until next Monday, she advised us to use baby socks on him and tape them on above the knee. Trouble is the tape seems to stretch and the socks keep slipping down. Anyone got any suggestions to keep them up.

He kept licking his paw, so I took him to get checked out, there was something in the top of his paw. The vet said they needed to do an exploratary on it. Anyhow it was a piece off a burr that had dug in, I thought I had got rid of it all. We like going for walks in forests and the countryside, trouble is he has a long coat and constantly gets tangeled with burrs, brambles and other stuff.
I am thinking of taking him to the groomers, to get his legs,paws, bum and under tum done fairly short, not shaved. I really don't want to but I think Barney would be more comfortable, rather than getting tangled all the time.
Has anyone had their dog trimmed?

Have you used them before?
It does say they are water repellant, so wonder whether they would make his paw sweat, which is why she said cotton socks as it has to be kept dry and he would have to keep one on all the time.

I honestly don't know!
I've only used them to keep clean paws out of very wet grass...:neutral:
Sins

We have always used electricians tape. The stuff that is shiny on one side and sticky on the other. We put a couple of pieces that are part on the sock and part on the hair. It isn't that sticky and can be removed easily when changing the sock. When it is time to go outside for wees etc., we wrapped a plastic carrier on for that short period (dog always supervised). It hasn't let us down over the years. I did try one of these Mikki boots but the dog made such a performance I never bothered again.

Ruth

There is something calle coban wrap. It is a stretchy wrap that sticks only to itself. May be good to wrap on the top of the sock, no adhesive so will not pull hair or stick. Should be available at pharmacy. Good luck.

Thanks will try out the coban wrap or velcro. Barney is a little tinker as he has worked out the tape is stopping the sock coming off so he has taken to chewing the tape now.

Back