• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Has Anyone?

islewriter

Has anyone approached you and said your dog is 'overweight' and then go on to describe how if it was there dog (individual in question does not have a dog) it would be starved on a Sunday (like the gun dogs, her farmer friend had).

I know my lovely Princess is slightly overweight (hence my coming on this wonderful site and looking to my friends, all of you here for your expertise of Cavaliers for tips).

As for the individual in question, Kirra did not make any attempt to greet her (which is unusual as she likes to be friendly with all she meets) nor did the individual attempt to greet Kirra.

Of course I had a ready answer, but alas I had to refrain from saying what I was thinking in that I would have loved to have said "Overweight, looking at your good self, your rear posture should have a sign stating 'Abnormal load' and then go on to say "May I suggest that instead of starving just for a Sunday, make it in your case, permanent".

If only I had allowed my tongue to say the above, instead of allowing my brain to think first.

So has anyone else had the misfortune of encountering such individuals?

No, but I think it is appalling that someone should stop you and pass judgement on your dog, especially if they are overweight themselves.:(
I think your ready answer is brilliant. I usually don't manage to come up with a perfect answer like that until way past the event when it is too late. You were right not to use it though, I think sometimes it's best not to stoop to the level of the person that is passing the remark.

I did a rant about this but yes and it was upsetting coming from someone that was a close friend I talk about who has an overweight cavalier (but now working on it) so passes on health advice to me. I know Ella is overweight but she is the one who thinks Ellas neurologist made up her SM (even with MRI) and wants money. Something all cavaliers have etc. I just get mad when people who are obviously not concerned with health issues pass on information or advice when they have shown in past they really don't care

In my case I did have a stranger tell me that Max was overweight and in truth it was the eye opener I needed (as I thought he was fine). The next time I was at the vet - not my regular vet who had never mentioned his weight I asked her opinion (he had already lost a bit of weight) and she reiterated that he could stand to lose a bit more. Although my feelings were hurt at the time I am grateful to her for the literal slap in the face because I know Max is healthier because of it. It's not that she just walked up to me on the street either - we were at a dog training seminar so we all considered ourselves fairly educated dog owners.

I will admit to once telling a friend that her dog was fat (without being asked). It's something I try hard NOT to do but I was so saddened to see this dog go from a beautiful, bouncy lab who would always run to greet me to a dog that doesn't even bother getting up when I come over anymore. She is still a friend:) but didn't take my advice and her dog is fatter than ever. I have managed to keep my mouth shut since.

I think it was different b/c I had told this friend about her cavaliers weight and struggle with getting ella at a healthy weight (still trying) in december and she blew me off (hers is over 30 lbs) but after health scare she forgot and scolded me for ella looking bigger.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think your rant would be quite funny!!!! I normally think of clever things to say after the person has left but so far i have not had anyone say anything about the size of mimi but im sure i would be like a protective mother and say something then as she cant really answer them back.

My Bentley is still too young to become overweight so I haven't had such an experience but, I have to say. your mental response is way too funny! Love your sense of humor!

Back