• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help??

laswans

My fiance and I have always wanted to have two cavaliers- we bought our first last March (a year ago) and he's a darling. Really, he's perfect. :l*v:. Mel and I do agility classes twice a week, canoe, hike, and psychology research together. He's very helpful with the latter (keeps my lap warm).
We had intended on rescuing our next Cavalier love this summer, but news came to us of a neglected and abused 5 month old girl and everything seemed to line up perfectly. In the park where we met Lanie (the wee cavie) Mel seemed awkward- but enthusiastic. Addmiteddly, I coddled him too much and he is inhibited around other dogs- we have been working in this in classes.
So, anyway, we took Lanie home, introduced her to her kennel, basket of toys, yard, and couch. Sweet Lanie has had NO training over the past five months- none. Instead, she was locked away from everyone. She doesn't know where to potty, what to chew on, or how to "play nice" with my little Mel. Needless to say, Mel doesn't know what to do with her. I love my little dears, but seeing Mel so nerve-racked is really taking a toll on me- I can't even sleep. Every time Mel tries to lay and chew on his favorite toys, Lanie is interest and comes and takes it. Mel doesn't do ANYTHING to stop this, just looks at me. Should I intervene?
I could use a bit of guidance here before we start puppy classes, I've never had a dog that hasn't had training from day one. I HAVE already enrolled her in a training class, but it seems so far away. I need to be able to communicate with her. Please help, I love my boos. :smile:

Lanie

200606_1929078992738_1415103531_2218863_8219493_n.jpg

profile.php

Last edited:
I have a mult-dog home and foster dogs from time to time. For the most part I let the dogs work out their small issues as far as toys and who sleeps where and how rough they will play with each other. if a dog has been raised with its momma dog until 8 weeks it should have the basic doggie skills it needs to interact and play normally with another dog.

I do feed seperate and give high value items (such as marrow bone) in crates so they can enjoy without having another dog interrupt. However if one dog continues to bully another I will seperate the dogs and always have the bully dog on a leash, but this is usually an adult foster dog that has learned bad manners from lack of socialization.

Because both of your dogs are young I would let them work out their issues on their own. It takes some time for dogs to adjust. In a few weeks they will be playing and chasing each other around the house, and falling to sleep in a heap together.

Thanks

I came home from research today and things have already improved. I think I rushed to worry. I very much appreciate the consult though; the reassurance is great.

Hi

Don't worry they will all be fine just let Mel and Lanie find there own level with each other and within two weeks they will have accepted each and be the best of friends ,though I do crate all my four at feeding so they can each eat at their own speed without fear of another taking it .I had Poppy first then six months later Daisy came then a further six months Rosie then a twelve month gap and Lily arrived ,so be careful your two could soon be three or four just like these bananas in the two videos,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22730263@N07/4801971358/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22730263@N07/3779137034/

I wouldn't change a thing .:)

I thoroughly enjoyed watching both of your videos. I just love cavies and watching them play is one of life's pleasures:) Enjoy your babies.

so be careful your two could soon be three or four just like these bananas in the two videos

Brian, the idea of this makes me smile! Seth and I probably would have more of these loves if we had a fabulous yard like that! As of now we go on a few daily walks and weekend hikes. Luckily, our deck is huge so the wee-ones can sun themselves whenever they would like. :cool:

Back