• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Urgent advice needed please....!!!!!!!

team bella

Hi I had the girls at the groomers today and picked up advantix spot on solution. This one covers fleas, ticks, sand flys ect. I don't recall advantix before the covered all these, but the vet advised it. Anyway about 2-3 hours ago I applied them and Bella is completely fine, but Jessie seems to be having a reaction to it. She's very itchey and running around scratching. I've taken a clothes soaked in cold water and bathed the itchy area and also given her an anti histo tablet, and she is sort of settling down but not good. Is there anything else that I can do help her ?? will it pass over the next few hours or should I contact emergency vet. I can tell you one thing I won't be using it again !!

Personally I would contact emergency vet, Allergic reactions to flea treatment is well documented and I would worry that her airways might become swollen.

Please let us know how she is.

Nanette

I've just looked up the side effects of this product on google as there is not a lot of info on the enclosed leaflet. What she is experiencing is a typical reaction to it, which starts around 2 hours after application. That's exactly what happened. It also says that it lasts around 24 hours. Advice is to rinse the area with water which is basically what I've done. She is starting to settle down and I think the anti histo tablet is also kicking in. She's cuddled up to me at the moment so I'm just going to keep her quiet. I am annoyed though and wish I'd never used it. Thing is if she's reacted like this then what else can I use for fleas and ticks.

Thing is if she's reacted like this then what else can I use for fleas and ticks.

You could try the totally natural way. I give mine Garlic and Fenugreek tablets, Garlic is supposed to repel parasites. Also tea tree oil.

Hope she has a comfy night, sounds like she has settled from what you say.

:hug:Nanette

I only use drontal on Mimi, i started using this stuff from the pet shop and the vet said the only thing it would do is give her a reaction if anything at all so now i will only use what i get from my vet. I hope she is feeling better..

How is Jesse this morning?

I have heard stories of dogs having bad reactions to some of these remedies.

I have been using Advantix for quite a while now and find it works way better than some of the other makes and fortunately I have not experienced any adverse reactions.

I suppose all dogs react differently to different substances. Hope you find something that works.

Well she was still a bit scratchy this morning but not as bad as last night and this afternoon she seems to be back to normal. I was very upset that I had inflicted this on her. I've not used this version before, and I won't again. Thanks for all the replies its very much appreciated.

Sophie had a mild reaction after the first time I used K9Advantix, but after that, she's fine. I put it on at night, before she goes to bed in her crate. Otherwise, she tries to rub it off her back (and on to the carpet).

When we put Frontline on Skippy (maybe one dose every 8-12 weeks?), he is uncomfortable the first night, trying to rub his head on the carpet to get at it. By the next day he's usually fine.

That said, as some of the others have mentioned, it could always be an allergic reaction that needs treatment, so do monitor closely.

Last edited:
She's more or less back to normal today, with just the odd attempts at scratching and rubbing. Here's hoping that's it all over with. I will speak to the vet about getting an alternative for her. Thanks again for all the advice.

My old boy Toby had a bad reaction to on of these spot on applications that was supplied by the vet, I cannot remember which one it was as it was years ago and I have never used any of them since. It left a red weeping 2" sore that stayed bald for almost a year,never again
Ben has only had fleas once and was rid of them by a simple bath with non insecticidal shampoo. He has had one tick that I easily removed using a tick lasso, I will however soon limit him to short grass and tarmac during the tick season with regular checks as they seem to be getting worse year by year.

Sorry to hear about Jesse's reaction to Advantix, so glad she recovered quickly.

In an emergency situation like that if the vet isn't available etc bath the dog in cool water (as much as you can cover) and thoroughly rub the areas applied to. Most of these spot on treatments have to dry off naturally and bathing the dog will reduce the amount on the skin quickly.

Back