• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gracie's diarrhea not getting better so far.... starting to get very worried

Since Gracie is better...

Did not go to vet today. Instead trying to get appointment with recommended vet nutritionist who has some natural remedy expertise as well. Hope to get that later this week for sure.

I appreciate you all more than you know. You help keep me sane through all this craziness.

I have a friend who uses Flagyl when her pugs have pooh issues

Flagyl is the same thing as metronidazole. I will use flagyl if I'm sure it's just an upset tummy nothing more serious. It kicks in pretty much immediately.

I feed a raw diet and don't have tummy issues anymore but we had them for about 2 years when Jake was a puppy. Can't stand Science Diet.....but their I/D was what used to do the trick for us. It worked great but I only gave it short term (a couple of days). Now with an upset tummy (either end) I give a diet of 50% boiled white fish, 25% boiled sweet potatoes and 25% boiled white potatoes. It works every time.

Thanks Cathy

She has been on flagyl for 7 days now.... and we are finally getting results. But I think more because of removing a dog food that was too rich and a bland diet for 5 days. I am considering a raw diet. My hubby is the problem there. I really would love to do that. Here's hoping that I can convince him to give it a try.

Way to go Gracie! And I forgot to say about the brownish coloring in between paw pads; that can be a yeast infection brought on by allergies. Just wanted to clarify that!

And if your hubby is really frowning on having to do this whole raw thing, try looking for pre made raw. It is nore expensive, but so much easier to feed. It is already balanced so you would not need to worry about adding supplements or "preparing" meals for her.

I use Instinct, comes in a lot of different meat varieties :)

Making progress!!

Thanks to everyone who has helped. We are finally on a steady path and slowly adding meat to her bland diet. We have her off all meds and using natural things like organic pumpkin (just a 1/2 tsp twice a day) and probiotics. Will have to take her in for anal glands tomorrow as the diarrhea took a toll there based on her butt scooting and trying to scratch an itch at her tail alot.

I think my hubby is coming around to using raw food.... very likely Nature's Raw. We are going to give that a try mixed with a high quality kibble with no grains. But all this has to happen very very slowly. We are slowly adding plain ground beef to her bland diet and so far no issues. I am quite sure that the Evo canned meat was a problem in her being able to heal. It is just too rich for her GI.

So I guess we are headed somewhere between all raw and all traditional, but more toward raw diet.

I have found a highly recommended holistic vet near where I work. He specializes in using many natural treatments and special (mostly raw) diets for dogs with health issues. He also is not a big fan of so many vaccines and monthly treatments. He uses more natural options for fleas and ticks. I am considering a consultation with him as Gracie has some reactions to Frontline flea/tick treatment.

Will keep you posted on upcoming transition to raw food diet.

So pleased she is doing better - it's very hard on all of you dealing with constant diarrhoea.

The new vet sounds fantastic - please let us know what he recommends for natural flea treatments!! Always looking for new ideas :D

Garlic and brewers yeast in their food seems to help - but I wouldn't recommend you adding anything yet. You can also make a spray with lemons and rosemary that keeps in the fridge for about a week, you spray them every day. There are also prepared natural things on the market.

Sorry your poor Gracie has diarriea

My Churchill had diarriea and had so many accidents in the house. It was very frustrating. I did some research and started making my own dogfood. There are somegreat recipes on dogare.com and other places. He is doing so much better since then and he has not had one accident. It has been 2 months now and he loves his new food. Would be glad to share recipes if you would like. Apparently most homemade recipes lack in calcium and phosphorus, so I grind up egg shells and hopefully this will help. Churchill is 3 1/2 years old and I give him 1/2 t of ground egg shells per day along with his homemade dog food. He is like a different dog. good luck.

Back