• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spining when going to the bathroom

NicoleK

Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie to the forum. I have a beautiful Blenheim baby that is almost 3 years old. She was diagnosed last year with SM. Heartbreaking to say the least. It's so great to have this forum, as no one else can possibly know that seeing the sweetest dogs in the world suffer is like taking a bullet.

My baby, Pashima, spins-obsessively-before she goes to the bathroom. I'm talking 1-2 minutes. Mainly associated with bowel movements, but also with urination. I have noticed that she does not want to eliminate when she is uncomfortable.

I haven't seen this addressed anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm so sorry you are dealing with SM - as you will have seen, many of us have had to deal with this as it is so prevalent in our beloved Cavaliers.

It is indeed painful for them to eliminate sometimes if they have SM and that maybe what is causing the spinning.

I'm assuming Pashima is under the care of a neurologist? I think it would be wise to at least speak to the neurologist, ideally take some video to show them. It may be that her medication needs adjusting as it sounds like she is not getting adequate pain relief.

Hi,
Leo does this before he poos alsoicon_blshing
I read somewhere that it's something to do with a natrual instinct to "pad" down the ground before going.
He more turns in circles than spins though. When he was a puppy we watched for this circling thing in the house as it was always a sign disaster was about to strike:sl*p:

Sorry to hear about your little one's SM. There are lots of people on here with SM dogs who will offer support and advice.

Mel

This is normal dog behaviour. In the wild, dogs will tread down the grass/undergrowth, do their business and then the grass will eventually spring back and hide the evidence from possible predators. Some take longer about it than others! My older dog often backs into a hedge to do his business, presumably for the same instinctive reason.

Of course, if a dog is toing and froing and straining to go, a visit to the vet is indicated, but as long as the result is healthy, no need for concern.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Riley, my SM girl spins also. And it really is more of a spin rather than just circling. It is so tight that sometimes she loses her balance before she is able to accomplish her mission and has to start over. She'll look up at me with these sad eyes though before she begins again.

I'm so sorry Pashima has SM. You're right. It is like taking a bullet to your heart. There are lots of us on this forum who are willing to share our SM stories and give support if and when you need it. Welcome.

PS Should also have said welcome to CT, Nicole and Pashima! Sorry your baby has SM, but as a disease SM can vary wildly in its effects, so I hope hers progresses slowly. My Oliver was diagnosed 4 years ago but at nearly 10 is still leading a normal - and energetic! - life. Seems to me all you can do is get the best treatment and advice available, try not to worry too much about the future, and enjoy every day you have with your Cavalier. Easier said than done, of course!

Kate, Oliver and Aled :hug:

Sophie spins/circles like mad, too, often for a few minutes. I usually can't watch her, as it makes me dizzy. She's our first Cavalier, and I never had a dog that did this before.

I realise that many dogs do circle before toiletting but spinning obsessively indicates a degree of anxiety and agitation and I would not therefore class this as normal behaviour I'm afraid :(

Also as you are saying she is reluctant to eliminate when uncomfortable.

I'm sure that at one of Clare Rusbridge's first talks she said that the increased pressure caused by straining to pass a motion could cause extra pain.

I don't notice that Tommy spins any more than my fluffies, but he often has a session of mad face rubbing immediately after he has performed and none of the Chins do anything like that.

Wow, thank you to everyone that responded. Thanks so very, very much for the input. I am so glad I found this forum :)

Back