Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Medication not working for Maggie

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alabama, US
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Medication not working for Maggie

    Recheck at the vet yesterday didn't go to well for Maggie. The medication has had no effect at all. If anything, she seems worse. We have an appt. with the Neurologist at Auburn University on Tuesday do discuss surgery
    Stacy

    Maggie, Roxie, and Jackson

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Stacy

    Sorry things don't seem to be going well with Maggie, but many people with SM dogs find that their medication needs adjusting over the first few weeks and months, so the neurologist may be able to suggest a different combination/dosage. For example, Gabapentin is metabolised (sent through the system) at different rates by different dogs; the average is about 8 hours, but averages mean that there are dogs who need the same dose but much more often and others that need it only twice a day. It's a bit of trial and error. So your neurologist may be able to make Maggie more comfortable by adjusting her medication while you weigh up the pros and cons of surgery.

    Let us know what he says,

    Kate, Oliver and Aled

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm so sorry Maggie hasn't responded to her medication. Riley didn't respond to any medication (Gabapentin or Prednisone) either which is why I decided to go the surgical route with her. For Riley, it was the right decision. Three years post op, she is a like a miracle dog. I didn't think she'd still be alive, but she is alive and doing beautifully.

    Good luck at your neuro appointment. Maybe they'll decide to try a different cocktail of meds or different dosages before they recommend surgery, or like Kate said, to at least make her more comfortable. Let us know how Tuesday goes.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To review - Maggie has been on gabapentin and prilosec for about a month now, right? What dosages? And she was on prednisone but for ten days only. Did she seem improved during those ten days? Would you consider another trial with adding prednisone or an NSAID assuming that her symptoms have increased? Is it worthwhile to try a switch to Lyrica to see if that makes a difference? Those are things that you could discuss at your neurologist appointment.

    You indicated before that Maggie's only symptom was some scratching but she evidenced no pain. Do you think that has changed and she is now exhibiting pain?

    The AL neurologist seemed to favor no surgery but meds only, while the MS neurologist was pro-surgery. Do you think that the AL neuro will change his mind and now decide that surgery is the best option? If that is the case, I'd really think seriously about having the MS neuro do the FMD. He has pretty extensive experience, and his swine tissue duroplasty seems to be superior in many respects as far as helping to prevent scar tissue formation. Do you have info on the track record and surgical techniques for the AL neurologist? I can't even find him listed on the ACVIM list of neurologists, so I'd want to do some major research on him to understand the pros and cons of using him for surgery. The pros and cons of the MS neurologist are pretty well documented, and I can share my personal notes and his speaker notes from the CE session of his that I attended.

    Sorry for the 20 questions game - you don't have to answer them all; I'm just trying to give you some food for thought as you consider all of the aspects and options. I like to make an outline on paper to help me think through all of the ramifications when I have a big decision to make!

    Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post

    Stacy,
    I'm so sorry that the medication is not going so well for Maggie. I totally agree with Pat's suggestion. Dr. Shores did surgery on Corey when he was still in AL and when he left we decided not to go to AL for the follow up check up because I couldn't find the neuro name that's replacing him on the ACVIM list of neurologists. So far Corey is doing great, a lot better than before the surgery. Hope this help and keep us posted.
    Gemma
    Mom of Corey & Honey Bun

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alabama, US
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you all for your comments and such great information. It gives me alot to think about. I have a list of questions started for the Neurologist. I do hate the thought of surgery but am leaning toward it due to reading that since it is a progressive disorder results are usually better when it is done earlier. I don't want to wait until it worsens and possibly limits the results. Hopefully we'll have a clearer picture of her condition and what steps we need to take next after our visit. If anyone has found that not to be the case or has different information, please share. I want all the information possible, even thought I'm already pretty overwhelmed. So much is out there, I just want to make the best decision I can for her. Pat, she is still not in pain, but her scratching has increased and she only walks a short distance without scratching. Before it was only caused when she was on lead or you touched the side of her neck. Now she does it without anything provoking it.
    Stacy

    Maggie, Roxie, and Jackson

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Aw. Sorry to read meds have been ineffective. Personally i would also pursue surgery if meds didnt help and u see progression. Though the thought of the actual surgery is unbearable to me...
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sunbury on Thames, Middlesex
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry to hear that Maggie is not responding to the medication mix she is on. We had to play around with Minnie's medication quite a bit until we got the right mix.

    She did not do well on gabapentin but when change to Lyrica(pregabalin) 50 x 2 a day it made an immense difference.

    I certainly think it is worth while speaking to your Neuro about the medication options available.

    It is such a big operation that personally I would not want to consider that as an option until all other routes have been tried.
    Sandra
    Minnie-May (6yrs) & Rosie the Rescue (approx 6 yrs)
    My Darling Cinders and Lady Jane waiting at the Bridge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alabama, US
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just got back from Auburn with Maggie. Dr. Sorjonen changed meds to Gabapentin (100mg. once a day), Prednisone (5mg. twice a day), Omeprazole (10mg. twice a day), and Sucralfate (1g. twice a day). We go back in 2 weeks. If we don't begin to see an improvement by then, we will most likely move toward surgery.
    Stacy

    Maggie, Roxie, and Jackson

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Praying you see improvement with the new regime.

    Hugs to you both,

    Cindy and Claire

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •