• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Medication not working for Maggie

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. And Sins, my best to you and Daisy. I hope she feels better soon. :)

Oh, I'm so sorry that the medication had no effect on Maggie. In some ways it makes your decision to have surgery a little easier though. At least that's how I felt with Riley. Pre-operatively, no dosage of gabapentin or prednisone or anything else made any difference in her symptoms. After her surgery, she is well controlled on 5 mg a day of prednisone. It will be three years in June since her surgery - amazing. Please PM me if you just want to talk or you have any questions or concerns.

Tuesday will be the longest day for you, but you can spend the day on CavalierTalk and we'll chat with you and help you get through it until you hear from Maggie's neurosurgeon that she made it through surgery o.k. Just remember to keep breathing.

I will be thinking of you both on Tuesday sending tons of positive vibes your way. Your such a good mommy.

hugs to you both

It is really hard to have to go through the stress of a surgery like that... Please let us know the details of what happens Tuesday and after.. I wish u lots of courage and keep my fingers crossed for a smooth surgery. WE are here when u want to talk...
Big hug for maggie.:lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

Tuesday will be a long day but hang in there. Like others said there is no right or wrong, you are doing what you think is best. Stay strong. One person sent a picture of how they decorated the kennel for recovery. I thought it was a good idea. Hugs and paws crossed.

Sins I'm sorry to hear about daisy...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Just to echo what Pat has said about NSAIDs.
Daisy didn't cope well with Rimadyl...she's been vomiting twice daily over the last ten days and we've now stopped it.
Looks like Gabapentin from now on.
Sins

Hi Sins
This rang a bell with me. My first boy who had SM did not do well on Rimadyl either. He was given Metacam and it did not cause any problems for him. Just a thought.

Wow, I can't imagine giving my SM girl her Gabapentin only one time per day. I can tell as soon as it begins to wear off and it's time for her next dose. If I am even a little off schedule, she starts up with the scratching and bunny-hopping. As long as I keep her on a regular schedule, 3/day, (sometimes 4, depending on timing) she is kept very comfortable. Once a day seems like it would only exacerbate her symptoms because she would get relief, and then it would wear off after 8 hours and she would have to go a long time until her next dose.

And, I should have added.. good luck to you tomorrow!

Last edited:
Very best of luck tomorrow Stacy.I know it'll be an anxious time for you but we'll be thinking of you both and hoping for a successful result.
Sins

Best of luck tomorrow from us as well. We'll be thinking of you both and keeping fingers and paws crossed for a successful outcome

Thank you all so much. The surgery lasted a little over 3 1/2 hours and they said Maggie did very well. She should be home by the weekend. The support of the wonderful people on this forum has been such a comfort and inspiration to me. I appreciate it more than you all know. Will post updates as we get them.
Thanks again,

So glad to hear that Maggie is doing well. I can't imagine how tough of a day it was for both of you. I bet your counting the days till this weekend when you get to see your little girl again. We are all here for you, keep posting updates when you get the chance.
:lotsaluv:

I'm also so glad to hear she did well! I know it must be very hard to wait to see her again. She'll be oh-so-happy to see her loving mommy this weekend! Stay strong!
I'll be praying for Maggie to have a great recovery and for you to feel at peace until you are with her again. :)
--Jessie

Oh, I'm so glad she's through surgery. I've been checking peridodically through the day to see if you had posted any updates. Glad to see she did well. Now you can sleep well. How are Jackson and Roxie doing? Are they missing her?

So glad to hear that. I'm sure its been a long day. Try to get some rest

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

So pleased to hear she's come through it safely.:)
I'm sure she'll do even better once she gets home to familiar surroundings and can recuperate without stress.
Sins

Back