• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Typical day with a puppy

Rosie Posie

How does a typical day with a puppy go? I just want to make sure we're doing everything right :wink: She's 13 weeks.

have fun, I had areas blocked off so if I missed a potty break the damage was limited to a certain area. I also remember my girl followed me everywhere poor thing she would be dead tired and I would try to sneak off down the hall to do something in the other room and dang if she didn't notice and drag her tired self to follow. I felt so bad you could tell she was dead tired and needed a nap. lol I would leave the house just so she would have no distractions and could catch up on her rest.

play eat sleep play, sleep eat , thats how our days went -still do if ruby gets her way lol just see it as having a new baby and follow her needs but make sure you get some rest too :grin:

I work full time, so does my fiance. Our schedules however worked out so Coco only needs to be left alone for about 5 hours, and only 3 days a week. Here was our 13 week old puppy routine (on a day off):

Wake up, potty. Come inside, eat. Play, potty, nap. Wake up, potty, play - maybe go to a dog park, or for a walk, practice training, potty, nap. Wake up, potty, come inside and watch tv or hang out, play, potty. Dinner time, potty, come inside and play, hang out and chew on something while I am on my computer, potty, bedtime.

Rinse and repeat :p Notice the very frequent potty visits lol!!!

When she was young, at night she slept in her crate with a pen around for just enough room for there to be a puppy pad layed down. She used it occassionally, which was nice since I never had to worry about waking up in the middle of the night to take her out. Eventually I woke up over and over again to a dry pad, and she graduated to sleeping in bed with us at night!

Now we pretty much do the same routine, except we need fewer potty breaks and Coco has become very good at entertaining herself and laying at my feet if I am on my computer or busy.

Wake up, grab up puppy, run to the door (or else "potty" might happen on the way, found that out the unpleasant way, lol- THEN you get to potty, haha), come in, feed puppy, play with puppy, potty, puppy nap, potty, play, potty, practice "sit" for 2 minutes, nap, potty...repeat until bedtime, ending with potty. Oh, and pick up, pick up, pick up every tiny little anything that she may find to chew on/eat that is not edible. Might want to add a few "spray furniture corners with Bitter Apple" in there too. How can 5-10lbs of puppy be such a chewing machine? lol It really is like having a toddler. I even had Rose a couple of playpens so I could have a break occasionally, especially while cooking dinner.

My little boy sounds like he is being really good. He hardly ever makes a mistake in the house now. cl*pI am home with him all day so perhaps that is why. He really likes going out into the garden now. It was scary for him when we first had him and he used to sit and shake. He eats all his dinners and loves to play with the bunny that his breeder gave him when we bought him. I can't wait to be able to take him out to the park so that everyone can see him. I will post a photo of him when I work out how to do it. :confused:
Emma

We put up a baby gate at the livingroom door for when she was wiggle (potty) training but she was allowed in after she had been outside, the best thing we trained her to do was to tap the door when she needed to go out due to the fact that when she was learning it was getting to winter so it would get too cold to leave the door open. We still have the gate up for when we go out but she isnt left for more than an hour or 2 as my dad works days and me and my mom work a twilight shift so there is just the few minutes between us leaving to when my dad comes back, unless he is back early.

(we call toilet wiggle as she she would just do that cute little bobble head move with any other word but when i say its time for a wiggle she would go out and do her bussiness lol)
Our day was normally like this.

wake up, out for wiggle, then in for breakfast, out for a run in the garden and more wiggle, back inside for training and watch tv while i check my emails or go out to the park, back home and out for more wiggle (she didnt like to have a wiggle in unfamiliar places at 13 weeks), off to work, then dads on wiggle duty, then she has dinner and we play with her toys then up to bed to start all over again.

It is so much better now she is more controlled in the toilet department as she is allowed all over the house and she has no accidents as she doesnt want to be locked out again so she learnt that quite quick.

The main part is plenty of toilet breaks and lots of play that they will learn from.

A typical day with your puppy means you don't have a minute to call your own.:jmp2: They are such bundles of mischief that you always need eyes in the back of your head, and just when you think they are 'out-for-the-count', and you tiptoe out of the room to make a cup of coffee, BLAM!! they've caught hold of the table lamp flex and pulled everything crashing down!!!:pi*no:cl*p

A friend lent us a large 36" wire cage with a solid tray in the bottom. After the 2nd night home, at age 10 wks, we decided to use that as his eat & sleep station. His bed fits perfectly in front with the food/water bowl unit in back. I'd get him up several times at night to potty and I felt like the new mommy of twins that I was in 1963! It was also January with 13" of snow and bitter cold! Long story short, now he's 4 months old and doesn't go out until hubby gets up about 6:00 - 6:30. He's still "iffy" on the potty training. He'll go a couple of days without an accident, then do both jobs on the carpet right after going out for 10-15 minutes. It's still very disagreeable outside here in SW Missouri, damp, cold & windy, so I can hardly stand to take him out on a leash and stay until he does it. If I let him out alone he gets distracted and gets out of sight where I can't tell for sure that he has done it. We live in the country with farmland all around which he finds fascinating. We are making slow progress though.

Back