• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

They cut her feathers!

BrooklynMom

Hi all!!

I have been back in the US visiting family, so I havent been on in awhile (though I just did about 2 hours of catch up :p )

But when I came home, Brooklyn was really dirty and I was really jet lagged so I thought "I will take her to a groomer for a quick shampoo, no problem". It was her first time at this grooming place (she is 5 1/2 months) and I said NO CUTTING any fur. Just shampoo and condition, thats all, nice and simple...though I went to pick her up and they had trimmed of ALL her "feathers" on her feet! It looks like her paws up to above her wrist are almost shaved! :( I am so upset, she just finally grew them out and they were so pretty.

I called the place and I am waiting to hear back from the owner. I mean, I am pretty sure "no cutting" means "no cutting". Ugh. Anyway...does the feathering grow back?! I feel like she lost some of her "cav". I hope it grows back and soon!! Does anyone know if it will and how long it takes?

Thanks all and I am happy to be back!

Oh gosh, I have no experience with this, but this is my fear of taking her to a groomer.

I think they will grow back, BUT, I think it will take quite a few months. Has she gotten rid of all her puppy fur yet? If not, then they will probably grow back quicker.

I'm not sure if anyone has anything that will help her hair grow quicker.....Sorry.

Don't worry, feathering on the feet is one of the quickest things to grow back, once she has seriously started growing a coat. Oliver's feet always look hairy and huge - it's very obvious because being a ruby the hair between the toes is lighter than the rest of him and grows so fast that I have to tidy it very regularly (but just trimming back a bit, not shaving!).

I somtimes wonder, hearing people's stories, whether you need to be deaf to qualify as a groomer in some parlours!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Don't worry! It grows FAST! All 3 of mine have had the feathers trimmed multiple times over the last few months due to IV placements. Every time I think "I should trim up the other side so they look even" but by the time I get around to it the feathers have already nearly grown in. Especially at 5 1/2 months. The first time Flash had a patch of his leg feathered trimmed was at 6 months when he had an IV. I was worried too but they grew back and were even with his other feathers in less then 2 months.

Ha, I know what you mean about feeling like they lost a bit of the "cav". I love the feathers and spend a lot of time trying to keep them clean and white! LOL

Ugh that is just awful. Being an ex-groomer, it is SO important that you take notes on every dog's file!! I would always check and re-check my notes to make sure. Also make sure you talk to the actual groomer who will do your dog, some places will have one person check you in and then another person does the work.

It will grow back. But you at least deserve that service free now!

Back