• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone's dog have recurring yeast infection on feet/between toes?

Daisy's Mom

This is the 2nd time this has happened to Daisy in about 2-3 months. I guess it's similar to what would be called athlete's foot in a human. Her toes get very (VERY) red in-between and they apparently itch her really badly. She starts licking them obsessively which makes them even more raw.

When I first noticed this about 2 months ago, I took her in to the vet immediately and he put her on antibiotic, antihistamine, and anti-fungal. It did get better very quickly. However, I just gave her the last dose of the anti-fungal about a week ago (he did a very long tapering down treatment period because she has chronic yeast infections on her skin), and now this morning I saw her licking her feet and sure enough, between her pads is blood red again. This time it is on her front feet, though. Last time it was on her back feet. So I guess we go back to the vet again...

He had said that he thinks it all relates to allergies of some form and that if it happens again (which now it has, of course), he would do a thyroid function test and possibly put her on Atopica. Anyone else use that? It is very expensive and is an on-going treatment indefinitely. He also said that we could consider doing allergy testing with her, but he wasn't all that positive about that. He said that usually, it shows reactions to many different allergens, most of which can't really be avoided anyway. But he said we could start with food allergy testing, which, if it shows something, would be useful.

It's very frustrating (and expensive). She never had this trouble until we had a foster dog here with the same issues. A few months after she left us, Daisy had her first yeast infection. So now I feel guilty that I might have brought this on Daisy by bringing that other dog into our home. I've read that yeast isn't contagious, but it does make me wonder. Daisy is turning 5 at the end of April, maybe allergies/yeast get worse as they get older and this is where she was headed anyway. Anyone have any insight as to when allergies typically kick in?

Honestly, I didn't know that Cavaliers were prone to environmental allergies or I would have had MAJOR second thoughts about getting a Cavalier. I now know 3 Cavs personally who have chronic allergies/yeast (and I don't know that many other Cavaliers so that is a really high percentage!). From the experience of others, I know that trying to fight off this yeast is kind of a losing battle, and I can definitely see Daisy and I going down this path. I guess we'll see what her vet finds out from at least the thyroid test and go from there. Hopefully they will find low thyroid levels, she can take some synthroid the rest of her life and these skin/yeast problems will just go away. Keep your fingers crossed for us, please!:xfngr:

No we do not have that problem, but my friends had a corgi who did have this problem. He seemed to have an ongoing infection that would almost clear up, then get worse again. They even had to keep a cone on him for a long time to stop him from licking his feet, the poor baby.

Eventually he was diagnosed with an auto immune issue, because he was tested for every allergy under the sun, tried every medication, every food, and it didn't get better. I am not sure if he is cured now or what happened, I do not speak with or see these people anymore. I just wanted to chime in so you could bring up auto immune with your vet as something to test for or rule out.

Good luck, hope your baby is feeling better soon!

Thanks, I will definitely bring that up when we go to the vet. If it is, I hope it is curable or at least treatable. I'd hate to see Daisy battle this the rest of her life.

i would definately try Dermacton ( aromesse.co.uk) it is a fantastic cream and at the very least would soothe the itching. ruby had bald patches on her forelegs the vet tried all kinds and wanted to do a biopsy .i found this and tried it and it cleared and the fur grew back .i have severe psoriasis and decided to try it and it improved it loads .. worth a try at least and only around £12 a pot .

Thanks for the info on Dermacton. I found a website that imports it from the UK to the US, so I placed an order. The testimonials and before/after certainly make a convincing case, so I'm anxious to get it and give it a try.

Oh, I see you already found the US site for the product, they are actually located in Michigan. The testimonals were impressive weren't they?

Does Daisy also have ear issues?

Last edited:
Well, just back from the vet. Daisy mysteriously tore off one of her toenails last night about 10:00 in the backyard so I brought her in for that as well as the between-the-toes redness. They gave her Cephalexin (antibiotic) and Diflucan (antifungal) again. Plus she has pain pills for her toe. Ouch! They gave her a sedative and went in and removed all the quick right down to the end of her "finger" because the nail was completely torn off and they said the exposed quick including the nerves and blood vessels was just hanging down. Again, ouch! Poor little girl. She's bandaged up and droopy right now. It was so weird because she was only outside about 5 minutes for her pre-bedtime potty and she came back in bleeding. I found that huge toenail laying on the back steps this morning! I have no idea what could have happened. The nurse told me she will never re-grow that nail, but when I got there, the vet said she thought she would re-grow it eventually. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Daisy almost never has troubles with her ears. They've said in the past that she has a tiny bit of yeast in there now and again, but they aren't itchy or smelly. He looked at them again today and said they looked good.

She actually did have ringworm about a year or two ago in her armpits and on her stomach. They gave us two types of shampoos and I bought an herbal ringworm medicine as well. It eventually just went away. So I'm glad the Dermacton may work on that, if that is what this is. They did do a scraping when she was diagnosed with ringworm back then, but they have never done one between her toes or mentioned it as a possibility.

Back