• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blood Test Results

Well I'm sorry to read that response.

I'm saying that this is the RIGHT thing to do, and this is what my ethical breeder friends would do and have done (that would be Liz S. and Anne R. and Pat W. and similar breeders) in a situation of a congenital defect. You aren't going to find this legislated in codes of ethics (although you could certainly make an appeal if you so desired and you could make a very good case to receive a full refund).

If Coco had been born with five legs - the breeder could not have sold her but would likely have placed her for free with someone that would commit to surgery to remove a leg (I'm obviously just using this as an illustration!). Or the breeder would have the surgery done to remove leg #5 and would then place her in a pet home for free or reduced price. She would not be sold as a "premium" pet. She might have been culled at birth.

The only difference is that PSS isn't "visible" at birth. It requires an ultrasound to see it. Routine ultrasounds aren't done just for the heck of it; they are done when symptoms lead a vet to do this test to rule problems in or out. Your breeder has every right to have her vet consult with your vet and get copies of tests, etc. That is a very reasonable request. But if PSS is diagnosed on ultrasound, this is a black and white situation; no grey about it. Coco would have been born with this, so, looking at this in terms of a "product," she is a "defective product." (Obviously I don't look at dogs as "products" I'm just using this for illustration. And I have adopted plenty of "defective dogs" and had them treated at my own expense and I've loved them dearly and as much as any "normal" dog.) PSS didn't happen because you were neglectful or did something wrong; it was present (but unknown) when you made the purchase.

Basically, your "guarantee" isn't worth crap, but this is actually quite typical. The exception for MVD and SM pretty much seals the deal that your guarantee is crap. It's highly unlikely anyway that these conditions would be diagnosed before one year of age, but then the exclusion eliminates these problems at ANY age. So what IS covered in your guarantee - just a fifth leg? Also your breeder clearly doesn't know the meaning of a "congenital" problem.

Pat

Back