• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Low Protein Diet

Zumie05

As our first course of treatment, my vet wants me to put Coco on a low protein diet. They are out of their special food so I have to wait until they get that in.

So for now, any suggestions for a dog food with low protein, or home cooked meals? The vet suggests rice, apple sauce, and cottage cheese.

I also have raw medallions, the guaranteed analysis says 13% protein, but being raw I worry if it will still be too rich for her. Think that will be ok to feed her?

No, definitely not pre-made raw. Check these links:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/liver.html#diet

Liver Shunts
Dogs with portosystemic shunts (PSS) have specific dietary requirements that are different from dogs with other types of liver disease. While surgery is the treatment of choice, dogs with liver shunts can benefit from a low-purine diet, to prevent the formation of urate bladder stones (uroliths). Lowering purines does not require that you feed a low-protein diet, which would be contraindicated. It is important to feed proteins that are high-quality and low in purines. High-protein foods that are low in purines include dairy, such as cottage cheese (better to use low-sodium varieties), ricotta cheese and yogurt, as well as eggs. White fish, chicken and turkey are medium-purine foods that are still good to feed. Organ meats, seafood and soy have a high purine content.

There are more links on the above page to follow.

Here are more:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/liver/

And here is Dr. Strombeck's page on liver diets:

http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/diet_and_hepatic_disease.html#dog

I'd probably use the first link since this is a temporary situation and that link is easier to understand.

Pat

When you're reading about protein content, you have to factor in water content. For instance, if your raw food was 13% protein and 74% water, then the dry weight would actually be 50% protein.

Thanks for the info so far guys. I am attempting to make her meals until I can get her special food.

I have two different flavors mixed up right now. I try to have it 50% carbs, 20% dairy, 20% veggies, 10% protein, 10% fat (something like that).

First recipe is cooked oatmeal, yogurt, carrots, hard boiled egg, fish (tilapia), and a squirt of salmon oil.

Second recipe is cooked rice, cottage cheese, carrots, hard boiled egg, fish (tilapia), and a squirt of salmon oil.

With each of these she is also getting a tablespoon of Lactulose to help bind ammonia.

Is there anything else I should be adding to make her diet more complete? For now my vet said this is ok since it is short term, but I am thinking I may go ahead and home cook meals for Coco from now and forever. If I do this from now on I want to make sure she is not missing out on any important nutrients.

"Dogs with shunts need high quality proteins made from milk or vegetable, and are restricted to a protein content of 18% or less (on a dry matter basis). The diets should be easily digestible, rich in antioxidants and vitamins, and low in copper and iron."

I have also read extra vitamin E is good for this condition.

I would certainly talk to your Vet about the Vit E. Vitamin E can build up in the body, so I'd want to be sure what amount to give such a small dog.

Back