• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Who likes Trocoxil?

*Pauline*

I'm really not keen. We have just taken Dylan off this and I will be asking Clare to take Poppy off too. In my two dogs, this drug does not last a month. My vet believes a drug administered daily keeps it topped up in the system, a monthly pill trails off. I'm inclined to agree.

Dylan is much better on Pregabalin/Rimadyl than Pregabalin/Trocoxil.

All dogs vary which is why most people need to try a few mixes to get meds right for SM -- and then changes often continue to be needed as the condition progresses or meds stop being effective, as many do.

It sounds as if Dylan has greater or alternative or additional need for pain relief than is being provided with trocoxil (I do know it works very well for many dogs with SM). You will probably need to monitor whether rimadyl is that effective -- it is a pretty low level painkiller. Clare may suggest using something stronger if he is having any symptoms at all while on just rimadyl.

How do you know Rimadyl is less powerful than Trocoxil? I can't find any literature to confirm this. Clare favoured Trocoxil because it didn't wear off daily like Rimadyl.

I think you really have to have tried Trocoxil to make a judgement. I've been administering this for 6 months now and can see a pattern. Bearing in mind I have two dogs on this, one with CM one with CM/SM, and I monitor their behaviour closely.

I have contacted Clare and she agreed to Dylan going back on Rimadyl and he has already improved greatly after only 4 days.

I agree all dogs vary but really without feed back from owners, like myself, you don't get the full picture because dog can't speak, if only they could!

Molly and Dougall have been on Trocoxil for just over a year. I was little concerned at first, mainly out of ignorance as I could not understand how the drug worked. Clare explained, it stops the lows on a dialy basis and keeps the pain relief at a consistent level. Clare also explained it blocked pain (an enzyme), so in laymans language "it shut's the gate".

In addition they are both on Gabapentin 100mgs 3 x per day, 50mgs Zitac 3 x per day and Zentonil Advanced (for liver support)

It has completely changed how Molly is for the better. We have now had a period of six months totally free of bad episodes, she seems to be very stable now.

I'll be interested to hear how Molly copes with her month off Trocoxil as you can only give it for 6 months before she needs a break for a month.

Just a quick post before I start my gardening...

I did research before using Trocoxil and learnt that if you administer it with food the percentage of absorption is far greater than when given on an empty stomach.

Minnie has been on trocoxil for almost a year now. As previously posted when she was on her one month break she had a very bad pain episode 10 days before she was due her next dose. After consultation with Clare we started her back on the trocoxil early. The improvement was almost immediate.

Then last month I noticed that about 2 days before the next dose was due, Minnie was reluctant to jump up on the bed and waited to be lifted up. Once she had her next dose she began jumping up onto bed again.

At the next break we are going to keep a very close eye on her and as soon as she shows any sign of discomfort we will start the trocoxil again. Clare did also say that she would contact the drug company and advise them accordingly if Minnie was again unable to tolerate the month off.

Personally I like the convenience of this drug. With two dogs now on medication (Minnie on pregabalin and zitac) (Cinders on heart medication and pain medication for a back problem) it does make things a little easier, especially as there has to be certain gaps in between certain medications on a daily basis.

But as said before by others, I think everyone has to find what works best for their own dog.:)

Pauline am pleased to hear that Dylan has improved.

Both Rimadyl and metacam are pretty low level old style NSAID painkillers–one or the other is what most vets will generally start dogs on for pain and if they don't work well, they will put them on something newer/stronger. If you look at Clare's treatment diagram, you can see that the first things she recommends to try are Rimadyl and metacam. Rimadyl actually can have a lot of side effects with some dogs and so some people don't like to use it for that reason. For others it works fine. Trocoxil is a much newer formulation. It may be as well that a painkiller of a different type, rather than an NSAID, would work better.

A lot of the newer NSAID painkillers for humans as well do not need to be given at such frequent intervals–there's just newer research and more sophisticated formulation in them.

But as I said, all dogs, just like all people, are different and for some, one drug works better than another (I know I find this myself with pain medications even though they are theoretically supposed to do the same thing). If you find one doesn't seem to be offering relief, then certainly consider another–I am just saying that you would be going back to a medication that generally doesn't work as well as some of the more powerful formulations out there, and it may not be adequate.

It might just be my two dogs then. So glad there are other options. My vet said there is another anti-inflammatory, it began with "P", I lost the piece of paper he wrote it down on! He said Rimadyl can give migraines. I read all about Rimadyl when Dylan first was diagnosed and really wanted to avoid using it but glad I did in the end.

My Dylan has been on Trocoxil for almost a year. I have also encountered a few problems like you Pauline but have persevered with it as he is definately better on Trocoxil than Rimadyl or Metacam. My vet isn't keen on it either but I think is because being a fairly new drug they have not had any experience of it.

During the week before his next tablet was due he would show signs of break through pain so his dosage was increased from 20mg to 30mg (this is unlicensed). During the first break he had to be given Rimadyl for the month. He has just gone through his second break and again he began showing signs of pain straight away so I had to restart the Trocoxil after only a week into the month's break.

You really have to do what is best for your dog.:)

NSAIDs all have their issues. :( The 'coxib' NSAIDS are newer ones but can have other risks (heart generally) though are better on the stomach. I have had a crash course in NSAIDS and the 'coxib' family (of which Trocoxil is one) of late and there's no ideal solution with long term use. Metacam helps Leo but I don't need it every day -- I tend to give it if he starts scratching.

My vet said there is another anti-inflammatory, it began with "P", I lost the piece of paper he wrote it down on
!

Was it Previcox ? Molly and Dougall were on this before Gabapentin.

Back