• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CGC Test Tonight...

Zumie05

I am so nervous! I hope Coco doesn't feel my nerves. She has done so great in class I am sure she will pass, but I am still scared!!!!

Hope we do ok :xfngr:

How did you do? hope all went well.

And could you explain what a CGC Test is.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how she did!

The only part of the CGC test I am worried about is when you leave the room and your dog has be "well behaved" with someone else.

Chamberalin loses it when I leave, I know he would whine and tug at his lead! How does Coco do??

did you pass? we took this about a year ago and the dogs were all so amazingly well-behaved. just one dog of 12 failed, a maltese

to answer the previous question...

CGC = Canine Good Citizen test - dogs train for several months with their owner or through a course and take this 'test' to show they are well-behaved and obedient in some pretty hard situations. there are about 12 things they have to 'pass' to get a certificate. walking calm on leash, come when called, passing by strangers, staying put without the owner for several minutes, etc.

link: http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/index.cfm

For those unfamiliar with the test, here is a link to show all the things Coco had to do last night: http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm

Yes we passed!!! However I feel there was 2 parts we maybe should not have passed, but regardless they passed us lol.

I thought the test would be very strict, but turns out as long as you show you have control over your dog and your dog is easy enough to handle and safe in public is what matters.

Coco did VERY well on everything except supervised separation, which was odd because we practiced this every single class and she always had no problem at all. I think she did poorly last night because we had 0 warm up time, and this was our first station. So arriving to class very excited, then to have me leave straight away is why I think she did not show off how well she normally does.

The other part I thought she could have done better at was reaction to another dog. She stayed, with her butt on the floor, but she kept on scootching forward to get closer for a better sniff lol. I had to put her back by my side twice, however her butt never left the ground.

Otherwise, we are so proud! She did extremely well on everything else. We were the first team to finish all the tests, so we passed first!

Getting ready to head out for the test.

car.jpg

Phew it is all over with!

cocopassesfirst.jpg

cocoandalisha.jpg

My friend had her yellow lab in class too, Diezel. He passed!

cocodiezelpass.jpg

We had 100% success, the whole class passed!

classshot2.jpg

Here is a movie we made of Coco doing our last station, walking on loose leash, through a crowd, and reaction to distractions. After this we were the first team done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDSXS9enHk0

Last edited:
GO Coco!! Where's the movie I can't see it posted? Is it on your YouTube channel?
Did you style her hair before she went, looks like she has a few waves there!

Well done to both of you. Lovely pictures. Sounds like the KC Good Citizen bronze, silver and gold we have in the UK.

Back