• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jessie got her Silver good citizen award, but very odd behaviour

team bella

Jessie achieved her silver today and I'm very proud of her.:rah:
However today was a very odd day with her. We got to the hall and everything was relaxed and all the dogs were fine. We had to wait for the bronze test to take place and Jessie just went to sleep under the chair. Eveyone commented on her Jessie never get phased and how she's always chilled.
Anyway when it was time to start the first exercise which was walking on the lead out in the street and crossing the road, she took off like a hare and would not slow down. She was like a dog who had never walked on a lead. Then when we had to cross the road ( which was a quiet side street) she wouldn't move, she just sat there. Back in the hall she lay down and didn't want to do anything. Everyone kept saying how this was out of character for her. She did complete the other exercises and was allowed to re take the first exercise. She just seemed like she didn't want to be there. After it all she pulled and pulled to get in the car, it was like she was running for her life. Once in the car she was fine and back to normal. When I got her home she was back to her old self, running around. I'm begining to think that she doesn't like the training. I'm going to have a chat with the trainer to see what she thinks.

Congratulations:rah:

As for her odd behaviour we all have "off" days. Maybe she just didnt feel like it today

Well done You and Jesse. cl*p
We all have our off days and so do dogs. When me and Harley done our last Rally Obedience Competition I wanted the ground to open and swallow me up. I was so embarrassed the way Harley was sniffing everywhere and he wasn’t working for me at all. Very much out of Character. I was disappointed but when I got my rosette the judge congratulated me on keeping calm and finishing the course. Someone reminded me that dogs are no robots. So maybe Jesse had just an off day. If she normally enjoys going to training I wouldn’t worry about it.

Well done! Are you sure you weren't nervous or on edge about doing a test, and wanting Jessie to do well? Unfortunately dogs pick up our nerves very easily, even when we're not really aware of them, and even if they aren't made nervous themselves, it can make them uneasy (What's mum worried about? Should I be worried too?).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

To be honest I wasn't nervous at all because she usually so good. Maybe it was because it was a hot day and perhaps she knew it was a Sunday and that's our lazy day. I will keep the training under review and if she is going to be mega unhappy then I might have to re think about continuing. At the end of the day she's a much loved pet and I don't want to push her. I do enjoy the training though, I love to see how all the other breeds behave and you do learn so much.

Remind me, has Jessie got CM or SM? I'm asking because you mentioned strong sunlight, and if she squints in sunlight, she may have been wanting to keep in shade to avoid feeling uncomfortable. She could have been pulling on the lead to get back to shade. Mild light phobia, as another thread has shown, seems to be a much more common symptom of CM than people realise - though there isn't necessarily a connection; like humans, some dogs just feel uncomfortable in strong light. We had a hot and sunny day last Saturday, and Oliver, who is light phobic, kept himself in the shade except when going for short walks (though even looking out onto the sun eventually made him squint a bit).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Very well done to you both!(y)
I'm afraid I don't have a single one who would qualify as any kind of a Good Citizen:razz:, but you can be justifiably very proud of Jessie.
Sins

Remind me, has Jessie got CM or SM? I'm asking because you mentioned strong sunlight, and if she squints in sunlight, she may have been wanting to keep in shade to avoid feeling uncomfortable. She could have been pulling on the lead to get back to shade. Mild light phobia, as another thread has shown, seems to be a much more common symptom of CM than people realise - though there isn't necessarily a connection; like humans, some dogs just feel uncomfortable in strong light. We had a hot and sunny day last Saturday, and Oliver, who is light phobic, kept himself in the shade except when going for short walks (though even looking out onto the sun eventually made him squint a bit).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

No she's not got SM or CM or at least we've not had an issues that would make me think that. She does love to sit in the sun and will often bark just to get out in the garden and enjoy the sun. Maybe the event was just too much for her. If only they could talk....

Back