• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

At what age did your Cav get spayed/neutered?

Daisy was three.
I was told earlier of someone who lost a bitch to pyometra today.It's nasty and an emergency spay is traumatic for both bitch and owner.
I'd prefer to allow a bitch to have her first season if she can be kept secure and safe during it.
Much better to spay a non breeding bitch and not have to worry about Pyometra.
Sins

Maddie was spayed 3 months after her first season, making her about 11 months old at the time. Pippin was castrated at 18 months old, and only because we were planning on getting another puppy, preferably a girl and I knew I would want her to have one season. As it happened that puppy didn't happen. :(

My personal preference is to let them mature, go through puberty and have their growth plates closed, before I start messing with their hormones by neutering.

In answer to your question about when they typically come into season for the first time, it does vary, but I think it averages out to about 8 months old. This would mean you could do the course you want and may still have time to have Brooklyn neutered before her first season. Or you could do the course and let her have one season then have her neutered 3 months after?

Back