Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: 2nd Round of Blood Work. Confused.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    693
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 2nd Round of Blood Work. Confused.

    Here's the history in case any didn't read my other threads:

    Coco was having these weird barking/growling episodes, I explained to her neuorologist like she was bi-polor or seeing ghosts. He thought it was epilepsy. We had blood work done and then discovered a high amount of liver enzymes. They thought she had a liver shunt. Liver problems can lead to neurological problems due to the build up of toxins that the liver is normally supposed to remove.

    We had an ultrasound done, liver looks fine.

    I had her blood work ran again, it came back normal. What the heck?!? I don't know what to do next. I am not ready to lay down $2,000 for an MRI yet (thats what the vet wants to do next), I have to save up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    1,682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How confusing for you
    What does the vet think about the blood tests being normal. Does he have an opinion on how that can be?

    You certainly have a dilema knowing where to go next. I cant offer any advice on what I'd do except to speak to your vet about what he thinks caused the conflicting results.

    Good luck
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm happy to hear the results came back normal! But I understand how confusing that must be!

    Has her growling/barking episodes stoped? (Flash has started doing it again. Going to see his neuro again soon. Tried to get a video last night so I could show you but he stopped as soon as he saw the camera.)

    Could she possibly have gotten into something? Maybe on a walk? I think some poisons can cause liver issues. Then once they are out of the system things might go back to normal.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe she will improve to having no symptoms while you're saving and you can skip it . I'm glad that her tests came back normal!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Pleased your tests came back normal. If she isn't still doing those strange things anymore then maybe wait a while and see what happens only you know your dog. I still think it's got something to do with her being in heat?? It must be a relief to know the tests were normal, maybe the vets trying to make money out of you I wouldn't put it past them. I would just keep an eye on her. If I win the lotto I will pay for your MRI.
    Deb

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina USA
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Check with vet schools in your area....

    some of them may offer a discounted price for MRIs if you need one. Ours will do it for $1000 if you suspect CM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Scotland - east coast
    Posts
    9,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I think it's extremely unlikely to show such extreme behaviour due to being in season.

    They can be clingy, off their food etc - growling and barking would be very unusual - I've never heard of that before [and have had quite a few entire bitches] They can sometimes be a bit grumpy with each other but not with people.


    Is she still having these episodes?


    It seems very strange that her liver results would be so out and then correct - unless something was wrong with one of the tests? I don't think the vet was trying to make money - blood work would be a first step to rule out conditions.


    I don't think this is something you can just leave - I think there are credit cards you can take out just to cover veterinary expenses which you can then repay over a set period - it is obviously also worth asking around to get the best price. I think you need a full MRI to establish if it is a type of epilepsy, or even Syringomyelia.


    Keep us posted - if you're not happy I would maybe think about a 2nd opinion.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It is strange how they can be so out. I would be changing vets if I were you. It's a pity Rupert's fund only helps older Cavs to have MRI's? What a shame you didn't take out that insurance sooner. Hope you find an answer soon.
    Deb

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    693
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper and Holly View Post
    It is strange how they can be so out. I would be changing vets if I were you. It's a pity Rupert's fund only helps older Cavs to have MRI's? What a shame you didn't take out that insurance sooner. Hope you find an answer soon.
    I knowwww. If only I had waited 1 more week to make her appointment. *Sigh*

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    It's a pity Rupert's fund only helps older Cavs to have MRI's?
    Just to clarify: Rupert's Fund is not a charity fund for helping people (whether breeders or pet owners) get MRIs for symptomatic dogs. It is a research fund specifically to try to find dogs WITHOUT SM as a critical piece of the genome work. The starting point is that the dog must be clinically clear of ANY symptom that might be associated with SM. And of course the dog needs to be older than 5-6 as the goal is also to find dogs that remain free of syrinxes at least until late adulthood. So age would not have been the issue here -- it is that Coco is showing strange signs that could indicate SM or other neurological health problems that need to be diagnosed; something Rupert's Fund is not available to do.

    With Coco, I think it is important to follow your vet's advice rather than risk ending up with a problem that is more serious to address and which may permanently compromise her health before she gets the care she may need now. If she is continuing to have these behaviours, then she has some sort of problem which professionals have indicated they think is serious enough to merit a proper scan.

    If your breeder guarantees her puppies for health, as you noted in another thread, surely she will help fund the scan or else refund your money for Coco in which case you would have a significant amount towards a scan? It is unfortunate that Coco's problems are overlapping your wedding plans and costs, but she cannot help whatever she has going on and dog ownership (especially of purebreds) always carries the risk of serious costs -- as you experienced before with your uninsured rottweiler puppy that had so many costly health issues. Sadly, no breeder, even the best and most responsible, can guarantee a healthy puppy for life and this breed has some terrible and unfortunately, common health issues especially with MVD and SM that can be very expensive to diagnose and treat. It is why seeing all health certs including MRI and cardio certs is so critical before getting a puppy, and why insurance is so advisable from the day the puppy comes home, for the most comprehensive coverage for the dog's life.

    In your situation I would return to discuss this with the breeder. I would also at the very least, make an appointment with a neurologist just for a clinical exam and to have the videos you took reviewed. You can then discuss whether an MRI is necessary and talk about how that might be funded.

    You will need to consider as well what happens if she is diagnosed with something like SM -- there potentially will be substantial further costs with either medications or surgery. But she does need to have this addressed now -- if she has a serious problem causing those signs, it would be cruel to postpone dealing with them and leaving her to suffer.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •