• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lungworm

merello

There's an article in our local paper where one of the local vets is commenting in a rise in lungworm. Do any of the treatments such as Frontline protect against lungworm? Any info regarding protection for Kaley would be appreciated as I'm a paranoid mum:eek:

Thanks, I use Frontline on Kaley already. I used it for years on Sonny but 2 years ago when I went to the vets I was given Advocate instead. The only downside( or it may have been a coincidence) when we went to Skye that summer Sonny came back with a tick which was something he had never had before despite being regularly up the braes near our home. I switched back to Frontline after that. I wish they made something that sort of covered all the bases.

I have to be honest I don't know any dogs that have had lungworm but the newspaper article worried me a bit.

Not so sure Frontline treats worms?? I may be wrong...I stopped using it ages ago, I think it's mich less effective for fleas than it was. My vet had had lots of people saying the same. Advocate is great, I know it doesn't cover the full spectrum of worms so I do use Drontal around three times a year too :)

I'm paranoid too, but I think most worming meds treat/prevent lungworm. I think they come from doggies slurping up slugs. EWWW

Lungworm comes from dogs eating or even closely investigating slugs or snails - but also from ingesting their slime. So regular snail/slug patrols are a good preventive - and not leaving water bowls outside, where snails can leave their slime. Growing plants that slugs don't want to eat (no hostas!) helps to keep them out of your garden; snails either need to be killed or taken more than a mile away (less than that and they can find their way back). I throw any I find on to the flat roof of the shed to feed the blackbird family!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back