• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone feed Burns dog food?

meljoy

With all the problems Leo has had recently with his anal glands Im thinking of changing his food. At the moment he has Healthy Paws Holistic, which is an excellent food but so many people recommend Burns for anal problems Im considering changing.

Ive looked in all the pet shops locally and cant find it. Where do people buy there's?

Many Thanks
Mel

hiya ,i feed ruby Burns mini bites ,she has had a few problems still with her glands but less now i feed exclusively on dry,as i used to give her the wet burns as well . shes doing well on it. i buy mine from a tiny pet shop at my local shops ,ive found the website though and may order online as its much cheaper and more choice.. www.burnspet.co.uk

I use the burns hi oats for both my girls. Bella had a ruptured gland about 2 years ago and it was terrible for her. Since using Burns and regular trips to vet to have the glands emptied she's been great. I order online from the petsupermarket.com and get the large bag which lasts for ages. Vet also says you can put some bran in their food but the burns food is easy to use and is good for weight control too.

Thanks,

The weight control is another issue. Leo has been on the Healthy paws for a year and has lost just over 3kg which is fantastic.....I wouldnt want him to put any weight on after doing so well so its nice to know Burns deals with that too.

My guys lost weight on Burns, but they are quite active, so I doubt weight would be an issue. I rotate food and at the moment most of my dogs are on Burns and doing well! Have never had an issue with Burns (apart from the weight loss!) and they wolf it down! Comes in loads of flavours too so has something for everyone!

My two do very well on the ordinary Burns (Lamb and Rice, Fish and Rice etc) but at the moment they are thriving on Alert, which is exactly the same and includes glucosamine for joints, but for some reason counts as a food for working dogs and therefore doesn't have VAT, so saving you about £2 for a 7.5kg bag. The High Oats is very good for getting weight down, but isn't meant to be used all the time except for dogs with specific conditions - you're supposed to set a target weight, feed High Oats until the target is reached and then stop feeding it. Aled has it if his weight goes up a bit, just to get it down again, then he goes back to Alert. Neither of them ever have any anal gland problems - Aled never seems to need his emptied, and Oliver only once or twice a year (though they do have some roughage as well as Burns).

I think your local pet shop would order Burns for you - I started out ordering it specially from my local, but now they stock plenty of it.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Another great Burns fan here, especially for improved anal gland problems. Never had any problem with weight either - would thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks everyone.

Will look in to a possible change in food if the supplements dont help
(y)

Back