• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers Next????

the suggestion for a careful, controlled outcrossing programme is not coming from 'tinpots' but the UK Kennel Club which is in consultation with researchers/geneticists (assuming one doesn't believe the KC to be 'tinpots' :lol:). One of the reasons it is being seriously floated is because there is now a deep level of concern that breeders will not voluntarily test and submit test results to a degree that will ever significantly help the breed's health issues -- for example, to enable programmes like the Estimated Breeding Values to be adequate -- or that such programmes would be used by a meaningful number -- already there are complaints about sharing results, publishing results, costs etc.

But Karlin, if the KC and researchers/geneticists determine that an outcross trial breeding program should be done, who exactly is going to be doing these trial breedings? I suppose you would just need a couple of breeders rather than the majority of breeders to agree to do trial breedings but it just seems that this is a much more difficult road to achieve the goal of healthy Cavaliers than having a majority of breeders get on board with the EBV program, participating in current research, screening, etc.? It is frustrating to me that because of lack of sufficient breeder cooperation such a step might be thought to be necessary. Don't people realize how very difficult and how very long it would take to solve Cavalier health problems by going down this road because of the two major health problems and the polygenic and late onset nature of both of the problems?

Pat

Fully agree, Pat–the road to addressing health through outcrossing, not least trying to select an appropriate breed or breeds, seems very long and fraught, especially with SM known to be in so many of the toy breeds as is, with unknown rates of incidence. I have no idea how the kennel club would go about doing such a thing, but assume it would have to be tightly controlled and monitored. The very fact that they are even considering something like this certainly seems an indication of a pretty high level of exasperation by the kennel club with the mindset of the breed clubs -- I would not think the kennel club would approach any kind of consideration of an approach that would be so controversial for breeders without feeling options for breed survival were narrowing.

Many breeders though are being quite disingenuous in acting like they have not heard of this at all, as certainly word that there is some discussion along these lines within the KC has seeped out, and already appeared in the dog press and has been discussed by cavalier breeders themselves.

I do know that quite a few of the researchers I have talked to have long felt that the answer is not in outcrossing, but proper testing, sharing information, and using the programs that have been and are being developed to reduce incidence. But that doesn't seem to be happening or be very likely to happen. If nothing at all happens, it could draw scrutiny from the government's dog breeding advisory committee, which could recommend mandated testing, for example, or that champions be health cleared for conditions that cannot be evaluated by judges before being awarded championships.

If a national kennel club can mandate out-crossing (after, I am sure, much input from researchers about what genes need tweeking and what other breeds would be the best candidates), then I say, more power to the process. It won't work in the USA, without a lot of time and a lot of painful politics. But if the UK kennel club finally says: "This will be done", then I look forward to the process and outcome and wish it well.

I should think after 10 generations and 25 years, any of the elements of the CKCS breed standard could be met. Maybe even sooner. How many generations did it take after 1927 for cavalier progeny to obtain the first conformation championships? Certainly far less than the 15 generations and 38 years of the LUA dalmatians.

I just didn't want anyone to think I was asking a question in an 'off handed' manner.
The health issues of Cavaliers concern me greatly. Unfortunately, I think that for most breeders (at least here in the US) the almighty dollar will dictate their decisions, rather than the health (short and long term) of the breed.

Karlin said:

I do know that quite a few of the researchers I have talked to have long felt that the answer is not in outcrossing, but proper testing, sharing information, and using the programs that have been and are being developed to reduce incidence. But that doesn't seem to be happening or be very likely to happen. If nothing at all happens, it could draw scrutiny from the government's dog breeding advisory committee, which could recommend mandated testing, for example, or that champions be health cleared for conditions that cannot be evaluated by judges before being awarded championships.

Karlin, one can only hope that things will begin to change before this wonderful breed of dog is lost.

Cindy and Claire

It won't work in the USA, without a lot of time and a lot of painful politics.

I should think after 10 generations and 25 years, any of the elements of the CKCS breed standard could be met.

I agree - this will never happen in the US. Very different political climate.

Guess I'll never know the outcome if it happens in the UK because I'll be dead in 25 years!

Pat

Cavaliers next ?????

Fully agree, Pat–the road to addressing health through outcrossing, not least trying to select an appropriate breed or breeds, seems very long and fraught, especially with SM known to be in so many of the toy breeds as is, with unknown rates of incidence. I have no idea how the kennel club would go about doing such a thing, but assume it would have to be tightly controlled and monitored. The very fact that they are even considering something like this certainly seems an indication of a pretty high level of exasperation by the kennel club with the mindset of the breed clubs -- I would not think the kennel club would approach any kind of consideration of an approach that would be so controversial for breeders without feeling options for breed survival were narrowing.

Many breeders though are being quite disingenuous in acting like they have not heard of this at all, as certainly word that there is some discussion along these lines within the KC has seeped out, and already appeared in the dog press and has been discussed by cavalier breeders themselves.

CAVALIERS NEXT ?????

Can I just say that Desperate Times Demand Desperate Measures.

If this Avenue will give the Cavaliers a Future ,then so be it.

If this has to be left to the Geneticists and Researchers , then I would Guess they will know how to be Tackling this .

As sure as Eggs are Eggs ,as the saying goes, there is no Improvement for our Cavaliers Health at the Moment , just in a wee while ,it really seems as if the Cavaliers will be an Extinct Breed.

Maybe this way will give them the chance of Surviving.

The Cavalier Breed won't be any worse off than it is at the Moment.

If the Cavalier Public will be Prepared to Buy an Out Crossed Cavalier ,is this not the Bottom Line ,since it's the Pet Homes that most Cavaliers are being sold to,

Dog Showing cannot Exist in in a Self Contained Bubble

For that Reason Show Breeders are Pet Breeders.

Bet

Many breeders though are being quite disingenuous in acting like they have not heard of this at all, as certainly word that there is some discussion along these lines within the KC has seeped out, and already appeared in the dog press and has been discussed by cavalier breeders themselves. .

I mentioned in an earlier thread that when I was being shown 'Mate Select' at Crufts I was asked what I thought about the idea of bringing new genetic material into the Cavalier gene pool by outcrossing to another breed.
I said I thought it could be a good idea if it gave us a healthier dog, but most breeders would be very opposed and there was no way the KC would agree.
I was suprised when told it was already being discussed within the KC.

I doubt whether anything like this is imminent or whether it could give even part of the answer to the overwhelming health problems that beset the cavalier, but it is something I would consider doing if properly run and monitored by geneticists.

I always feel surprised when breeders will argue that an outcross is unacceptable because they will not allow any compromise in looks or temperament.
These are the people that maintain they love their dogs as much as any pet owner, but they would prefer to see this very painful condition continue to take over the breed until no civilsed society can ignore the welfare issues, rather than do anything concrete to help the situation.

I do know that quite a few of the researchers I have talked to have long felt that the answer is not in outcrossing, but proper testing, sharing information, and using the programs that have been and are being developed to reduce incidence. But that doesn't seem to be happening or be very likely to happen..

You are right. Although quite a few breeders are now saying that what is needed is the DNA test rather than outcrossing, these are the same breeders that have blanked and ignored the only research project that was working to find CM and SM genes.

These 'current guardians' who are praying that "those genes that up until now which have been evading us will be found"

Those who would "fight tooth and nail to stop those who wish the introduction of another breed" ...."We need to find the DNA marker"

Those who say "The only positive way forward is to forget this silly talk about outcrossing and try to find a DNA marker"

If they really mean what they say then they need to start supporting & funding the Gene research.
If there had not been so many years of obstruction, that so needed DNA test may have been a great deal closer.

So many breeders have not helped with DNA research, they will not accept outcrossing, they do not condemn those that break the breeding guidelines.

They wait for pet owners to raise money, to pay for projects run by researchers they will not recognise, to produce DNA tests that they have at long last decided will be the saving of the breed.

Last edited:
I have wanted a Cavalier for over 3 years. Just about a year and a half ago i when I finally got serious with them and learned about everything. Coco came into my life only 6 months ago, and has been everything I have ever wanted in a dog. I am so happy she is in my life, this breed is truly everything that I had dreamed of.

I have obviously become pretty passionate with them. I want to learn how to participate in the show ring, and what can be done to help them. I would love to one day be a breeder. I would not mind out crossing and having "mongrels" for the sake of this breed's health. I am young enough to be able to see results 25 years from now. I wouldn't mind submitting DNA tests and doing an MRI on all my dogs. Making $ would not be my goal. I just wish there was something I could do to help.

Maybe in a few years when I have a larger home I can get more serious into the breed.

The times they are a-changing

I have wanted a Cavalier for over 3 years. Just about a year and a half ago i when I finally got serious with them and learned about everything. Coco came into my life only 6 months ago, and has been everything I have ever wanted in a dog. I am so happy she is in my life, this breed is truly everything that I had dreamed of.

I have obviously become pretty passionate with them. I want to learn how to participate in the show ring, and what can be done to help them. I would love to one day be a breeder. I would not mind out crossing and having "mongrels" for the sake of this breed's health. I am young enough to be able to see results 25 years from now. I wouldn't mind submitting DNA tests and doing an MRI on all my dogs. Making $ would not be my goal. I just wish there was something I could do to help.

Maybe in a few years when I have a larger home I can get more serious into the breed.

And maybe it will be young open-minded owners like you, with your mind uncluttered by all the prejudices we inherited from the old time breeders, or even invented for ourselves, that will turn things round.

There is no doubt that things are changing at the UK Kennel Club................

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com:80/2011/04/make-way-for-mutts-well-maybe.html

Make way for the mutts - well, maybe

"The Kennel Club announced today that it has reinstated what used to be known as the "B register" - a system by which is is possible to bring in "impure" or "unverified" stock in order to enhance genetic diversity. Using language that is a distinct change of tone, the KC even says that it is "keen to open up its register".

Back