Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sore feet

Post Thanks / Like

Well good news... kinda.

My vet seems pretty sure that it is a slipped disk instead of CM/SM related. There is a spot in the middle of her back that is hot to the touch and very sore. You put pressure there and she yelps.

I'm hoping that is all it is. Sent her home on a Muscle Relaxer and Rimadyl. She already seems to be feeling a little better. Walking around with her head up again and her tail waggin' a little.

If she is not improving then we are gonna have to make the drive to get the MRI done sooner then I was expecting.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear Molly is doing better and it wasn't CM/SM pain (not that a slipped disc isn't bad enough).
    On the subject of foot pain. I know Jack literally freaks out (as if I am trying to cut his leg off) when I try to cut his nails or trim the fur between the pads. He has been like that since I got him as a puppy (he has CM). I now have a second person hold treats and let him nibble at them while I cut one nail at a time. It takes a while and Jack ends up with quite a few treats by the time I finish.

Please keep us updated on Holly's progress. Thinking of you both.
    Irene-
    Jack and Penny's Mom, NYC

Post Thanks / Like

U have been going through a lot lately, havent you? Holding u and holly and the gang in my prayers hoping for the best outcome... U r such a good mom!
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to read that her symptoms don't seem to be as serious as they could have been. Hope that the meds work and she will be back to her normal self soon.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad she's feeling better and I hope this fixes her up.

Post Thanks / Like

When Oliver had disc problems (before his surgery) Rimadyl was not effective for his pain. He either needed Metacam or prednisone. The prednisone was only for a very short period of time to get him over his worst bout of pain, but it always did the trick, until nothing did and then came the MRI and the cervical disc surgery when he was 9 years old. But he was like a new dog after that - and has been pain free.

I hope the Rimadyl works for Holly. If not, keep trying. There are other things that might work better for her. Poor baby. AT least she's wagging her tail now and holding her head up.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear this but glad you know what is going on and treatment is under way - hope HOlly will be a lot better soon.

So sad to hear that both the boys are having a rough time too - you really are going through the mill right now
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Well my computer is down at the moment but I had to get on to say Holly is nearly normal! Supposed to keep her from jumping but she is walking around like normal No more yelping and she is back to enjoying here chewies. Both boys are over there bad day too so the house is back to normal today! Thankfully!
    Thanks for all the support!

Love my cavaliers,
    How do you know that they need surgery? Does it become a chronic problem? Hoping this was just a one time thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Oliver had years of off and on again pain which continuously seemed to get worse with each bout. He was started on Rimadyl which really didn't work, then on Metacam which worked for a while, then when he wouldn't even get out of the crate to eat or potty he was put on prednisone for a week which worked. The last time he was in pain, even the prednisone didn't work. He was in pain most of the time, so he just didn't move. He had had x-rays of his hips and part of his spine before and it was thought that the problem was in his hips, but during the last bad pain spell, the neurologist decided to do a full MRI to make sure it wasn't SM. No SM luckily but it determined that it was his cervical spine that was causing him so much pain. Since he had already been on pain meds and prednisone for over a month with no improvement, I opted for cervical disc decompression. The day after he came home from the hospital he wanted to jump on the furniture. It was so nice to see him act so much younger than the 9 year old dog that he was! Every once in a while he'll let out a little yelp if he jumps on something too high, but that could now be his hips getting worse also. He is also 10+ years old. I keep Metacam in the house and just give a dose periodically (which his orthodpedic vet said is fine to do).

So, yes, it was a chronic problem for years progressively getting worse with each bout before surgery was needed. And it was very obvious when surgery was needed. Hope this helps - and I hope that Holly's problem is very different from Oliver's and that somehow she just strained her back and it is just a one time thing. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for that. I'm so happy she's feeling better - and the boys too.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)