• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poor Henry is sick

Henry11

I don't know what's wrong with him :( It started last night when he was getting out of bed to go outside for his last wee before bed. He sort of staggered out of the bed and then just dropped onto his bum, as if he couldn't put weight on his back legs. We checked out his legs but they seemed fine and he wasn't limping really. It's as if something's wrong with his back end? Or maybe his hips? I had to lift him outside this morning to do his business and then he came in and scoffed his breakfast, as usual :confused:

I don't really know what his symptoms are but he just seems very uncomfortable? I've run my hand over him and he doesn't cry or whimper?

I'm now thinking that maybe he has eaten something he shouldn't have? He is constantly chewing on sticks...but wouldn't he be off his food if he had some kind of obstruction?

I have a vet appointment in an hour so hopefully they can figure it out. He looks so sad just lying in his bed :(

Poor Henry .... I hope it is nothing too serious. Please let us know what the vet says.

Well, I'm glad to report he's much better :D The vet reckoned it was a virus of some kind. His temp was up and she thought he had abdominal pain - possibly pancreatitis - but it definitely wasn't a tummy bug because he didn't have any vomiting/diarrhoea. She gave him an injection and anti-biotic and painkillers and sent us on our way. If he's not a lot better tomorrow, I have to bring him back in first thing and she'll do bloods, etc. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

Thanks everyone :)

Watch for it being pancreatitis. Thing with pancreatitis is that normally they display tenderness. Also, my Nash (Cocker, not Cav) has had it several times, and it was what actually caused his diabetes. He's a big baby, and is very uncomfortable when he has it, and will either have the runs or throw up.

The last time he had it he literally got it from smelling cooking. I put him on Hills I/D (prescription food for intestinal disruptions) and he was better in a couple days.

And yes, he always is a bit hind end weak too.

Cindy and Claire

Also keep an eye on his knees. I have seen the slipping kneecap aka luxating patella condition in dogs before and their legs get wobbly and sometimes they just kinda sit down.

I would say a vet visit is in order. Please keep us posted!

Back