Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Important .....Volunteers wanted

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Important .....Volunteers wanted

As many here will know Tania and I co-ordinate a scheme that helps and encourages cavalier owners to volunteer their dogs for post-mortem and cell tissue donation when they die.

We make the arrangements, pay the costs and make sure the individually cremated ashes are safely returned to the owner.

It is possible that there may soon be a little cavalier body that will need transporting from a veterinary practice near Clacton on Sea to Stansted Motorway Services.

I or another volunteer would then relay the little dog on to Cambridge Vet. Hospital for post-mortem.

I know that this is a subject that makes many people uneasy, but the samples of tissue obtained from these much loved pets are vital for research projects into the diseases that affect cavaliers. It is really really important.

If you want to know more about the Collection Scheme http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/collection.htm

If you think you may be able to help with the relay........ please PM me or Tania, or phone one of us on the numbers shown on that link.

Many thanks,
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could help, I live in the U.S. It seems like you guys over seas are doing all the hard work and we reap the rewards.

Post Thanks / Like

It is so sad to think of this dogs owners and the sadness they will be feeling but such a valuable cause!! Margaret I would like to know if there is a register for this as I felt it was better to discuss it in advance with our family and would like to think we will do this when one of ours passes away.

I am on the organ donor register so at some point may help another after my death and I think it would be nice if in a different way Barney or Cassie might do the same...

Post Thanks / Like

Margaret
    I can't help out on this one - but you can add me to your list of volunteers for the future.
    Sandra
    Minnie-May (6yrs) & Rosie the Rescue (approx 6 yrs)
    My Darling Cinders and Lady Jane waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Important .......volunteers wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    As many here will know Tania and I co-ordinate a scheme that helps and encourages cavalier owners to volunteer their dogs for post-mortem and cell tissue donation when they die.

We make the arrangements, pay the costs and make sure the individually cremated ashes are safely returned to the owner.

It is possible that there may soon be a little cavalier body that will need transporting from a veterinary practice near Clacton on Sea to Stansted Motorway Services.

I or another volunteer would then relay the little dog on to Cambridge Vet. Hospital for post-mortem.

I know that this is a subject that makes many people uneasy, but the samples of tissue obtained from these much loved pets are vital for research projects into the diseases that affect cavaliers. It is really really important.

If you want to know more about the Collection Scheme http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/collection.htm

If you think you may be able to help with the relay........ please PM me or Tania, or phone one of us on the numbers shown on that link.

Many thanks,

IMPORTANT..... VOLUNTEERS WANTED

Margaret,

I have often thought about this when our Cavaliers were alive and suffering from MVD , if their wee Bodies could have Helped with the Research into Heart- Breaking problem for Cavaliers .

It's too late now , but is there any way some of us could, who have had so many Tears because of losing our 4 Legged Friends because of MVD and now SM, give some Money to help with the Funds for this Scheme.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

When I knew I was going to have to put my beautiful Russie down due to heart problems just before his tenth birthday, Margaret was a great help in sorting me out with respect to donating his heart to Dr Corcoran at the Edinburgh Vet School for future research. My own vets did the autopsy and sent his heart valves (both of which had failed) off to Edninburgh for me. Russie's remains came home to be buried instead of him having the more usual cremation. It made my loss a little less hard to bear as I know that Russie's heart will be helping other Cavaliers with MVD, and I would encourage anyone who feels they can, to help by donating tissue when they lose their Cavalier. Many breeders are doing similar by donating fetal tissue when they lose a puppy at birth or at a very young age - they at least know that this way those poor little unlived lives have not been entirely wasted.

Like Teresa I am on the (human) donor register - I had a workmate whose brother needed two kidney transplants, and I also knew another girl from work who was given a new lease of life through a more unusual liver transplant, so I know first hand just how valuable this type of gift can be, whether for dog or human recipient.

Rosemary

PS: We buried Russie on Easter Saturday (what should have been his birthday) three years ago, so this is a rather sad time memory wise for me.
    Last edited by dozyrosy; 22nd April 2011 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Rosemary, so sorry this is such a rough time for you. But, I can certainly understand.

Does anyone know if there is a similar type of thing that happens here in the US?

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 1990's, cardiologist James Buchanan had a research project going that was seeking hearts and femoral arteries from deceased Cavaliers. When my first Cavalier, Bonnie, died in 1997, my vet removed her heart and femoral arteries and I fedexed them to Dr. Buchanan at the Univ of PA. (Bonnie, minus those parts, was cremated at a local pet crematory.) I also sent Dr. Buchanan all of her chest radiographs and copies of her cardiology reports and blood chem reports and a detailed health history. In turn, Dr. Buchanan sent me a long report of his findings. Bonnie did not die from heart failure, by the way.

I don't know when that project ended, and I'm not aware of other similar projects in the US. Rod would likely know if there are current projects seeking samples from deceased Cavaliers.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

I am lucky heart wise with Barney he will be nine on the 27th and has a fabulous heart...barely audible murmour ) He has mild symptoms of SM and some strange things going on at the mo but with meds doesn't seem to be at all unwell...I count my blessing and hope the same for Cassie. Unless breeders follow the guidelines and we volunteer our lovelies for research how else will the breed move forward??

I was more than happy with where we got Cassie from and would rather go to a show breeder who I trust with lots of experience breeding than get a pup elsewhere. Openess an honesty is what we need

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Back in the 1990's, cardiologist James Buchanan had a research project going that was seeking hearts and femoral arteries from deceased Cavaliers. When my first Cavalier, Bonnie, died in 1997, my vet removed her heart and femoral arteries and I fedexed them to Dr. Buchanan at the Univ of PA. (Bonnie, minus those parts, was cremated at a local pet crematory.) I also sent Dr. Buchanan all of her chest radiographs and copies of her cardiology reports and blood chem reports and a detailed health history. In turn, Dr. Buchanan sent me a long report of his findings. Bonnie did not die from heart failure, by the way.

I don't know when that project ended, and I'm not aware of other similar projects in the US. Rod would likely know if there are current projects seeking samples from deceased Cavaliers.

Pat
    I hate to think of ella passing, but when the time comes, I would like it to at least benefit research. If anyone, rod etc., knows of something in the usa, please pm me or let me know.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella