Thread: Is SM considered at congenital defect? Health Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is SM considered at congenital defect? Health Insurance

I'm new to the forum as I've had my 4 month old Cav for a week now. I'm looking into pet insurance plans.

I'm curious about coverage for SM? Trupanion seems to be the only company that covers hereditary or congenital defects, and it seems to that SM is a congenital defect? Or is the Chiari Malformation the defect and SM the illness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so pleased that you are considering insurance for your puppy - sadly our beloved breed is affected by many health problems so insurance is essential. You may have seen from a few threads lately that difficult situations arise when people have not taken out insurance or taken it too late.

This post refers to a site about insurance http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...ight=insurance

SM is not currently considered congenital to my knowledge [Congenital means they are born with it. Something can be congenital and hereditary - ie present at birth AND inherited, or just hereditary. ]

Research has show that the majority of Cavaliers sadly have the malformation at birth, but not necessarily any syrinxes.

There is lots more information about SM on these sites

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/

and in simple terms, here http://cavaliermatters.org/

I think I would contact the insurance companies direct and ask them to confirm [in writing] which conditions they specifically exclude for the breed - some people on the board have had a good experience with Petplan I believe.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

some people on the board have had a good experience with Petplan I believe.
    I chose this company because they cover SM. There was no problem with them covering Shelby's MRI. A great company and very responsive.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I have pet plan as well. They have beebread great

Post Thanks / Like

I know I have posted about this a few times but since it was asked.... I have trupanion and they have been great, do the zero deductible and it will cover everything at 90% minus office visit, no limit per year or lifetime! So far covered MRI, spinal tap, many many medications and bi-annual bloodwork for CM/SM. PM with any questions
    Irene-
    Jack and Penny's Mom, NYC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As far as I know, in insurance as well as researcher terms, SM actually is considered congenital as it results from the malformation (CM) in cavaliers -- and almost every cavalier has the malformation from birth. SM can also be trauma-induced for example (not congenital), or result from malformation in the spinal cord in some other breeds (also then would be congential).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I too have PetPlan and so far they have been great.
    Stacy

Maggie, Roxie, and Jackson

Post Thanks / Like

I am kicking myself for my choice in insurance (VPI). I got it for my french bulldog, Mooby, when she was a puppy and now with congenital issue after congenital issue I wish I could go back and change it. I hear Trupanion is great.